A comprehensive list of beginner CPs

Hey guys,

I want to create a quality list of CPs that are best for beginners, so I am going to need some help. :D Here's what I have so far, please add to the list if you have any in mind:

Nepenthes

N. alata

N. truncata

N. khasiana

N. ventricosa

N. maxima

N. singalana

N. spathulata

N. x emmarene

N. x coccinea

N. x ventrata

N. maxima x fusca 'gentle'

N. ventricosa x inermis (ventrinermis)

N. x mixta

N. eymae

Heliamphora

H. heterodoxa -- not a beginner plant, but certainly a beginner's Heliamphora

Utricularia

U. livida

U. sandersonii

U. gibba

U. bisquamata

U. calycifida

Drosera

D. binata

D. dielsiana

D. aliciae

D. capensis

D. capillaris

D. spatulata

D. adelae

D. binata var. multifida

D. intermedia

D. prolifera

D. rotundifolia

D. capensis 'alba'

D. anglica

Tuberous Drosera

D. peltata var. folisia

Pygmy Drosera

D. badgerup

D. carburup

D. pulchella

D. pulchella (Pink Flower)

D. pygmae

D. scorpiodes

D. ericksoniae x pulchella

Sarracenia

--Any Sarracenia--

Pinguicula

P. moranensis

P. esseriana

P. grandiflora

P. vulgaris

P. tina

P. weser (Garden centre clone)

P. primuliflora

P. gigantea x moctezumae

P. sethos

Dionaea

D. muscipula (Typical)

Edited by Odysseus

Thank you, Sheila for your additions. Having not grown most of the Sarracenia I wasn't 100% sure, so thanks for your advice there. :wink:

Anyone else with a free moment,

If there are any more plants I really should add to the list please let me know. I really appreciate any help in keeping me from forgetting any or simply leaving some out because I just don't know. :D

i've never had any probs with darlingtonia's and i hand them out to a lot of freinds and relatives who don't have a clue abot c.p's. keep them outside, dappled shade and keep them wet, couldn't be easyer!

i've never had any probs with darlingtonia's and i hand them out to a lot of freinds and relatives who don't have a clue abot c.p's. keep them outside, dappled shade and keep them wet, couldn't be easyer!
I'd dissent on this one - While Darlingtonias grow well and don't just up and die randomly (as cephalotus can), the right conditions aren't always easy for people to figure out before it's too late, and they sunburn easier than most CPs.

Awesome! Thanks guys. Changes made.

Is D. Anglica not an easy beginers plant?

I added it, but I haven't grown it before. It seems to want D. rotundifolia environment and unless you consider the winter dormancy the difficult part...I assume it is a good beginner's plant.

If someone disagrees with us I will remove it. :tu:

Thanks for the additions, Yoss! I think I will leave mirabilis off the list, not because it isn't easy, but because it isn't quite as easy as say, N. alata.

(Realistically, as a whole, the genus Nepenthes aren't complete beginner plants. They require more attention then say a submersed pot of U. livida that would grow anywhere. :D)

Manders, thanks for the 'gentle' parentage and also for the vote on N. mirabilis. :D

Yoss, this really isnt worth a long debate, maybe in your conditions it grows very well, without much attention, but out of the 30+ Neps i'm growing at the moment, in my conditions, mirabilis does the least well, it is very sensitive to low humidity and often doesn't pitcher, and grows very slowly in room conditions. There are much easier neps that will grow, with virtually no attention, only occasional watering, and will pitcher in low humidity. These are much better suited to a complete beginner.

Sarracenias i can grow outside with allmost 0 attention, i can't do that with a mirabilis, but i can with a 'gentle' for example. I completely agree with truncata, alata etc, they are all pretty easy.

PS Odysseus: I should have reccomended N Singalana as a begnners plant, it does really well, with no special attention, pitchers nicely and grows fast.

Hi

I find that H. heterodoxa (Gran Sabana) a robust and easy grower. Indeed most Heli seem quite easy, though some are very slow growers and can take ages to get to adult growth.

Also this question depends on where you live. Americans for example seem to fare easily with lowland Neps, but need all kinds of gadgets to grow Highlands well. Over here it is quite the reverse.

cheers

bill