Amorphophallus Dead Loss :(

flycatchers

Hi

Well another A. decus-silvae and my last bites the dust.

decus-silvae1.jpg

The leaf I am holding is the latest it produced a few weeks back growing very fast. The leaf in the background was it first leaf which had been on the plant since September. Till yesterday it looked great, but both had toppled over with rotten bases today and no seed/tuber to talk of, just a mush with roots :D

I had kept the plant really dry just watering when I thought it needed. But all my Amorphophallus have gone this way. Doing great one moment and them collaspe with nothing left to save the next after perhaps several months of good growth. I was looking forward to moving them into the new greenhouse in the next month. :cry:

cheers

bill

Bill - You really don't seem to have much luck with these plants. :D

I think they are trying to tell me something... :D

cheers

bill

sorry to hear that Bill,

maybe your luck will change with a new greenhouse. Sometimes amorphs (i've heard) can produce weak tubers if their temp/light/humidity is not optimal.

I have to congratulate you being able to grow A.decus-silvae up to now, i doubt that any others on this forum could!

sorry to hear that Bill,

maybe your luck will change with a new greenhouse. Sometimes amorphs (i've heard) can produce weak tubers if their temp/light/humidity is not optimal.

I have to congratulate you being able to grow A.decus-silvae up to now, i doubt that any others on this forum could!

Thanks Hen.

Until a couple of days ago this particular decus-silvae was looking great with loads of roots. But I have encountered this problem where a healthy looking leaf just falls over, with rot just where the leaf leaves the seed/tuber. Until I can suss why this is happening (apart from the obvious over watering) I can't see me having any long term sucess. Another decus-silvae might be ok as I hope this one has gone dormant. Its leaf went yellow and gradually died back leaving what looks like a viable tuber. But it still is a gamble what to do. Repot or leave, and how much water...

cheers

bill