N x Gentle howto

davidoff

Hi!

I got a N x Gentle in december(for my birthday). Since then it has grown about half a meter and made only one pitcher. Is this a lowland or a highland? How should I take care of it? This is my first nep, so I want to know it all... To this day I watered it regulary and sprinkled it once or twice a day... But I want more pitchers :D . Thanks for all the help!

Cheers

David

Hi David

N. x Gentle is a dutch name given to the horticultural hybrid between N, fusca and N. maxima. Maxima is an intermediate and fusca is a highland so the hybrid really should be treated as a highland/intermediate. I would say that a lack of pitchers is probably due to too low a humidity; spraying a plant grown in a centrally-heated room, even a couple of times a day, doesn't really raise the humidity at all. A conservatory or un-heated room is best.

Cheers Andy

Hey David,

You could put it in your bathroom (tonnes of humidity in there!). Also you might find as the day length (light) increases through spring and summer your plant will start to pitcher where it is.

Just dont put it near the radiator thats all. I have some in my bedroom and humidity is around 60% near the window but 20% next to the radiator.

Good luck and be patient (something I've had to learn!) :)

Regards. Stu.

Guest Sheila

You can actually buy humidifiers that are just a deep but narrow tray that hangs on the radiatior. You fill it with water and it humidifies the air when the radiator is in use. Have a look in your local hardware store or B&Q, they don't cost much.

Have any of you used them with some sucess, I have looked at them on the internet and the concept seems to be a simple one but can anyone confirm that they do actually humidify the room/ prevent any humidity loss from the radiator? These could be exactly what I need for these cold dry months.

Nepenthes Nut: I have a couple of these in my bedroom but not of my own volition...although cheap they do little to increase the humidity levels.

David: You could try a location like a kitchen windowsill if this is available. 'Gentle' does quite well in such conditions. During the summer you might consider the outdoors. Maribor does not get insanely hot during night times in summer which is something the plant will appreciate.

i hung most of my neps on a Gardman bird feeder with extra hooks on - stuck it in a big terracota pot and stood it in my room. 15 neps in 2 square feet of room and you still get the window sills free !