U. dichotoma Langwarrin

Hi all,

I obtained seeds of this one last november, but at least in a heated tank the plants developed quickly. A first flower opend about 2 weeks ago and is still looking good.

udichotomalangwarrin16wg.jpg

udichotomalangwarrin29go.jpg

udichotomalangwarrin33oz.jpg

That's how the tiny leaves look like:

udichotomalangwarrin47ts.jpg

When I took this plant out of the tank this afternoon I was very surprised to notice some sweet scent. Is it typical for a U. dichotoma? I did not notice that before.

As we had a cold but sunny day today and two other growers visited my collection, another beauty opened for business:

dplatystigma0ep.jpg

I hope you like them.

Dieter

In nature this form grows as an annual. In my collection I have found that it is one of the more difficult forms to grow well. It tends to germinate really well, spread rapidly and then slowly decline. It is extremely floriferous as soon as the temps begin to warm up.

The flower shown is not as light as it appears is it Dieter? Most plants in the native habitat have very dark flowers although there are always a number of albino plants in amongst them.

I'm happy to see that it appears to be quite common in cultivation at the moment. Keep on spreading it around as the native environment of this one is extremely small and vulnerable (a single drainage ditch around 50 metres long by about 15 metres wide). Drosera spatulata that used to be found in the area have now disappeared.

Hi all,

thank you for your nice comments!

I have a second pot with this plant which I kept at room temperature (a third is now off to a new home). The "leaves" are about the same size, but no hint for flowers yet. As soon as it gets a little warmer outside (5-10 °C nightly lows), this one will be placed in my "winter garden".

Sean, I will try to collect as many seeds as possible and keep your description in mind. The seeds indeed germinated well. So allthough I had already given away a part of the portion, I still put many seedlings per pot.

Now, the flower colour should be close to the first picture. I will check this when I come home again. But then, this is the first flower and there may be other clones in the same pot.

By the way, so far I did not succeed in pollinating the flower. It is still there in its beauty.

Markus, I also like the colour of the D. platystigma very much. Unfortunately, I will not have the pleasure of many flowers this year (as of now). But the next orange flowers are just a few days away: some D. callistos should be next.

Cheers,

Dieter