[propagation by cutting leaf and repotting]

Sibelium

Hi everyone!:tu:

I would pose two questions.

The first: when is the best season for propagating dionaea by cutting leaf?

I read something about propagation of VFT trough the method of cutting leaf, but I notice that the best chance of obtaining new plants from the leaves is cutting them when the mother plant has already wake up.

In this period my VFT is still dormant but it has many healthy traps, growth in the past season, can I use them for trying propagation?

The second: when is the best moment for changing the old peat in the VFT's pot?

Thanks and excuse my poor bad english :tu:

Guest Sheila

The best time of the year for repotting your vft is now. They should be waking from dormancy in the next couple of weeks and repotting now will give them a chance to settle before the new growth starts..

Leaf cuttings are best taken when the plant is growing, the cutting will grow quicker in the growing season when it has warmth and plenty of light.

Guest Sheila

You just have to keep trying until you get the method just right. Cuttings do seem to strike better if they are done in LFS rather than just on damp moss peat.

Somewhere in this discussion forum is a topic and picture about how someone has sprouted a leaf cutting in a plastic tube. It can be done, even though my attempt was a fungused leaf. Works better for D. binata & filiformis!