Sign in to follow this  
Erodium

Drosophyllum

Hello,

I visited last weekend the classical Drosophyllum location near Ubrique in Spain to see this plant, I had never seen D. lusitanicum in cultivation so it was the FIRST time I saw this plant. :wink: It was a great day!!!! :(

I took some pictures, I hope you enjoy them.

Cheers.

Pablo

Drosophyllum_1.JPG

Drosophyllum_10.JPG

Drosophyllum_2.JPG

Drosophyllum_3.JPG

Drosophyllum_5.JPG

Drosophyllum_7.JPG

Drosophyllum_8.JPG

Hello :) !

I've never seen in-situ pictures of this plant before. Thanks!

I guess the drosophyllums are prettier in spring.

Regards.

Hola Erodium,

Question about the habitat, how dry is it?

This region receives around 1000 - 1500 l/m2 year (or even more), that is a lot of rain for Spain, specially for the South of Spain. Summers are dry anyway. These mountains are the first the humid winds from the Atlantic find, this is the main reason for so much rain.

Cheers!!! :roll:

Ohh Wonderfull pictures, I hope to be able to visit this place sometime. I love the way this plants look in nature.

Guest Aidan

I just wish I could keep the damn things alive! The best that I have managed is a year or so.

I just wish I could keep the damn things alive! The best that I have managed is a year or so.

I think they are plants who are just easy to grow...

What soil do you use Aidan?

@Pablo:

Beautiful isn't it! I've been there too a few years ago, at the same spot. Beautiful view up there, and of course lovely plants!

Thanks for sharing!

Nice pictures Erodium, it's good to see that the plants are still thriving at this well-visited site.

I was there in 2002 and it was really worth visiting if you are ever in S. Spain.

Vic

Hi Erodium,

Fantastic photos, the plants look great. Thanks for sharing.

:-)

Jules

Great habitat shots. Thanks for sharing, although they do only go to show how sorry for itself my adult Drosophyllum's currently looking!

They are the complete opposite to most cps, dry and alkaline soil. Great photos of this wonderful plant in its habitat. Hope to see more, thanks for sharing.

Beautifull!

I had many years ago Drosophyllums growing in pots outside for most of the year in full sun here in the west of the Neteherlands. They looked very similair in size like those on the pictures. Only with frosty weather I put them is on a sunny spot in the gardenshed. To keep them as cool as possible in winter and as much sun as possible. I had them grown from seed and got them into flower.

In Spain you could grow them easy in the garden I guess.