Utricularia spec. Chapada Diamantina

fischermans

I would expect that in nature this species would spend part of its lifecycle inundated by water, as many of the terrestrial species do. Extra bladders on the leaves that are above the substrate level and more accessible to aquatic organisms would undoubtedly benefit the plant.

I would expect that in nature this species would spend part of its lifecycle inundated by water, as many of the terrestrial species do. Extra bladders on the leaves that are above the substrate level and more accessible to aquatic organisms would undoubtedly benefit the plant.

Hello

I agree with Sean.

Regards Alexander

Handsome flowers Alexander.

I concur with yours and Seans view with regards to the traps on the leaves, it makes sense for flooded leaves to provide extra catching facilities. :shock:

Another for my ever expanding, rarely shrinking, Utric wishlist :-( ;-)

Hi Alexander,

absolutely impressive macros,I must say! I´m really envious of your great photos! :shock: Concerning the colour of your plants´ flowers:mine are purple with small white parts,not completely white as yours.Does this pale look depend on the lighting you´re using while taking photos,or are the flowers of your plant really completely white?

Wow, impressive pics!

Most impressive to me however is the identity of this plant! It seems to be the same species as what I call U.sp."Chapada Diamantina", a new species which is common in that area. But the Serra do Cipo is ~700km S of the Chapada Diamantina (in a straight line).

Where did you get your plants from Alexander, if you don't mind me asking???

Best Wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia

All has been cleared up with Alexander! :)

Apparently there was a mixup. This IS the plant I call D.sp.Chapada Diamantina. It somehow got mislabelled as being from the Serra do Cipo, in Minas Gerais state. The Utric above is what I orginially distributed in the 90's as U.parthenopipes, only to realize later that what I called U.blanchetii "white flower" is the true U.parthenopipes (I'm not sure they should be separate species...).

Best Wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia

Hello

So we all have to change our labels from U.spec Cipo in U.spec.Chapada Diamantina as Fernando said. :) :wink:

Hope all will do so.Fernando also told me that he saw both coloration in the wild and he was under the impression it was purely environmental.

Regards Alexander

OK, I got it! I changed the name of the threat I started earlier.

And yes, the plant originally came from Fernando (at least that's what I was told) via Andreas and Alexander to me.

This raises another question: Alexander, are the colours correct on your photos? My flowers are of a somewhat pale pink with some yellowish dots on the corrolla.

Best regards

Dieter

Alexander, are the colours correct on your photos?

Hello Dieter

Yes the colour is correct and the colour hasn´t changed up to now but as i told in the article before.

Fernando also told me that he saw both coloration in the wild and he was under the impression it was purely environmental.

The plant on my pictures is the plant you get a spare from. :tongue:

Regards Alexander

Hi Alexander,

Great pictures!

The plant I grow as U. sp. 'Hermanus' also produces very photogenic traps

scattered on its leaves - unfortunately I'm not equipped for macro photography.......another one for you to point your camera at perhaps :tongue:

• 1 month later...

Hello

Here are 2 pics of the same clone which is standing a bit colder but not that much. In think the colour changes because its a bit colder and the plant has a bit less light.

124.JPG

225.JPG

Here a few pictures with both colours.They are in different pots.

326.JPG

427.JPG

528.JPG

Regards Alexander

• 2 years later...
Please see the link below, thsi species has now been officially named!! :)

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?s...mp;#entry241217

Best wishes, Fernando Rivadavia

What a pity for my booklet! If I delayed the publicatione of my booklet for about a month, I would have been able to include this new species as is described here!