Ceph mildew

Alexis

Alexis,

Which fungicide are you using? I have found Scotts 'Fungus Clear' (active ingredient - pencoazole) effective against powder mildew on Cephs. I tried several other fungicides, which didn't work well, first though.

You are unlikly to have much effect on a fungus by dunking it, fungi won't drown in the way that insects do. I have heard that sulphur powder can be quite effective for this problem on Cephs, but I have no experience of using it.

Vic

I've not had mildew on my Ceph's to date but I grow mine in deep pots permanently in .5" on a seed tray in full sun, and I have a lot of auto-vents so humidity is possibly lower.

If you've got ordinary moss growing up around the plants perhaps press this down or pick it out to stop too much moisture developing on the pitchers (mold loves damp and your fungicide spraying is probably wetting them further) is the mold growing all over or just the lower portions,I know with sooty mold (black. same as on roses) which feeds on nectar can be wiped away with mild detergent perhaps using a cotton buds.

I'm sure you'll also get other advice here before long too.

All the best.

Ian.

I don't know how long the fungicide remains active once you use it, but it will definately kill trichoderma. The instructions on the pot I bought says not to use fungicide on trichoderma treated plants for that reason.

Hi all:

First thing one should do in this spray the plant with a sulphur containing solution. repeat the dosage for the next 2 to three days. After that, wait a week. repot the ceph taking as much soil around the roots as you can otherwise your plant will go downhill!!, rinse it with cool distilled water and put more trichoderma on the new soil mixture. Repeat the trichoderma treatment at least once a month for the next 3 months.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Gus

• 2 months later...

Here's something interesting about Cephalotus and powdery mildew. At the last LACPS meeting I spoke to a grower who is very experienced with cephalotus. One of the things that he mentioned was that the common plant Kalanchoe often carries a powdery mildew that can be transfered to Cephalotus. He recommended to never grow Ceph outdoors in southern CA when a Kalanchoe is growing nearby. More info about powdery mildew: www.cas.psu.edu/docs/CASDEPT/PLANT/ext/pmildew.html