Any Growth Yet?

Nigel H-C

Wandering around the nursery at lunchtime, I still can't see a single flower emerging from any of the Sarry's. I normally see something happening on at least a few plants by mid January, and have even seen flower buds prior to new year in the past.

Obviously, this winter is colder than we've had for a few years, but has anyone seen any growth yet?

Hope they perform soon, I've got to start displaying them in just over 3 months time! :?

Nigel H-C

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Nigel H-C,

I am a long way from you & in a different climate, but here in Florida, I noticed the first new Sarracenia leaf growth on Monday. First flower bud on a hybrid S.x excellens, this morning. I hope it isn't too early. If the weather is cloudy, I don't think the flower will do much.

It is amazing how fast Sarracenia grow once they start. The first leaf I spotted on Monday is almost 3"/ 6cm tall now. This is the stage of growth I usually see aphids or other nasty insects doing the most damage. I did a preventative spray this year, with a systemic insecticide (just last week :lol: ).

Steve Stewart

Florida, USA

I have today finished dividing S. flava (at last!) and just about every mature plant has the tell-tale swelling of a flower bud in the growth point. Dormant they may be, but they are doing something! :lol:

The grow points are swelling on my sarras so I hope that is a sign of flowers being imminent. I suspect it will be a couple of weeks yet before I see signs of proper growth though.

Hi Mike,

Oddly enough, I've been heating some of the plants (not in the nursery greenhouse), for a few weeks, and still nothing. Last year I tried to bring on some plants, but once the weather warmed up and we saw more of the sun (does anyone remember this!), the plants in the unheated nursery overtook those I was heating!

Today has been pretty good weather-wise, and I'm hoping that the recent drab spell is over. I know its supposed to be good for the next couple of days.

Nigel

I can't see the point in trying to hurry the plants into flowering by warming them up or giving them artificial light. They will flower soon enough when they are ready. Even if mine are last to show, then no matter, they will still be flowering when everyone elses have long gone.

The problem is I have my first display mid May, and if the plants aren't ready, it could give me real problems. If it wasn't for that, I'd agree that they are best left as they are-they'll soon catch up!

Nigel

I do like the flowers, but for me the bigger thrill is watching each plant start to send up new pitchers. It's a great time of year - every evening when I get back from work, another pitcher has started to open or colour up. Keeps me excited for months!

Maybe I'm just a saddo who's easily diverted.... :-)

Hi Giancarlo,

Unfortunately, as you have seen I have far too many plants to illuminate. I've got to rely on the sun-which incidentally is shining this morning!

Nigel