Germinating Sarracenia species in the U.K.

dcobbold

I am still relatively new to this topic, this being only my third year of attempting to germinate Sarracenia seed, and I have had very variable results so far. In my first year, I had quite a lot of successful germinations of S. Flava, but NO germinations of S. Purpurea, but last year (my second try) had NO germinations at all from my Sarracenia seeds. :cry: This year I have also obtained seed from some UK growers, and want to maximise the chance of successful germination. When, i.e. in which month, do most people sow their seeds in the U.K., and under what conditions? Should I spray with fungicide on sowing, and if so, which one? I have read the usual general sources of advice on germinating CP seeds, but what do YOU do to try to ensure good germination?

hi David, i sowed seed for the 1st time last year - just popped it onto 50:50 sand:sphagnum peat mix, kept it moist and waited. And waited. Then WOOSH ! i got loads in the space of a few weeks in April/May (i think it was). Fresh seed, cold then warmth and patience is the key. I stratified some in the fridge - in a little zip lock bag filled with rain water for 4-6 weeks and they germinated really quick once id sown them around mid summer.

Phil