Sign in to follow this  
2LAP

How to grow...

Hi all

I fancy having a go at growing either Catopsis berteroniana or Brocchinea reducta, but have no idea where to start. There are a few answers to specific questions on the forum, but I'd be interested in how people grow theirs and what to expect over the year (e.g. flowering, cutting back, etc.).

Thanks in advance

I am no expert, but I've kept both Brocchinia reducta and Catopsis berteroniana alive and propagating from seed and pups for a number of years. I now grow them as house plants, which I don't recommend.

Brocchinia is the easier of the two from my experience. If you have grown a variety of bromeliads, you can probably grow B. reducta. Catopsis berteroniana is more reluctant to grow without bright direct light for me. C. berteroniana is picky about water and temperatures as well, not doing well if too wet or cold.

I hope this helps,

Steve Stewart

Florida, USA

Now to answer your specific questions! If I were you I wouldn't worry about those pesky flowers or cutting back the plants for a few years, unless you know somewhere to get large plants. My first Catopsis took about two years to flower and my first seedling Brocchinia waited more than five. They (from pups produced) flower every year after reaching maturity and adapting to my environment.

Steve Stewart

Florida, USA

A friend got a Brocchinia of roughly the same size as mine at roughly the same time, but his is growing three times as fast. We are in the same area but his greenhouse is heated at night and cooled by day as well as kept more humid. I can well imagine that Steve in Florida has a better climate than me where I'm at, but mine's alive and healthy and goes from 100F to an occasional light frost in an open greenhouse, if that info helps you any. I think it's a cool plant since a little tree frog uses it's tube to hang out in.