Heliamphora Pest Control

Langy

Hi, all

I have noticed that 3 of my newly aquired Heliamphora have a few Scale Insects on them.

I have managed to remove as many as I can with the aid of a 10X magnifier and some tweezers.

However I cant find any referance in my books as to what Chemical control can be applied?

All I can find is Slack's referance to Copper-based Fungicides are leathal!

I have Malathion and Pirimicarb in my 'arsinal'.

Im after 'tried and tested' means, rather than reccomendations.

Thanks.

:wavey:

Langy

I do know that wen it comes to orchids, rubbing with a Q-tip (not sure what a universal name is) that is soaked in rubbing alcahol , like the kind you use on cuts will kill eggs and crawlers it comes into contact with. Good for getting into crevices where they like to hide!

Sib :D

Hi Langy,

I used Lizetan by Bayer for scale on my Heliamphora plants - the pest was controlled but the plants suffered very badly. The leafes looked like they were severly burned. I can't make a positiv recomendation but I would recommend only using a fungicide others had no problems with.

Good luck

Joachim

I used provado after picking off all the scale insects I could see. iI did the trick and I have seen no signs of reinfestation.

Hi, Sheila

Did your Heli's show any adverse (side-affects), after using Provado?

Langy

I used provado after picking off all the scale insects I could see. iI did the trick and I have seen no signs of reinfestation.

Hi, Sheila

Did your Heli's show any adverse (side-affects), after using Provado?

Langy

No the only plant I have ever had show adverse reaction to Provado is Drosophyllum and that may not have been the fault of provado, the plant was looking already sickly which was the reason I used insecticide in the first place.

No the only plant I have ever had show adverse reaction to Provado is Drosophyllum and that may not have been the fault of provado, the plant was looking already sickly which was the reason I used insecticide in the first place.

I strongly suspect the Provado did kill it. I watered one of my healthy Drosophyllum plants with Provado and it died. The most annoying thing was that it was just a precautionary watering after spotting adult Vine weevil in the garden.