Sign in to follow this  
Altair

Drosera esmeraldae seeds

I won some Drosera esmeraldae seeds and now I need some advices. I know it's from Venezuela, but is it lowland or highland? Substrate and watering? I have an highland terrarium, can I grow this species like an Heliamphora or does it need different conditions?

Thanks,

Vale

Well, D. esmeraldae is genetically relative to D. capillaris, and I suppose that it can be grown as D. capillaris is.

A friend of mine in Japan grows the species in the way, although he moves the pot to a less hot place in summer.

Hi Vale,

I have grown mine in one part each of milled sphagnum and sand, or 2 parts sand to one part peat moss. Seed is easy to germinate if fresh, and the seedlings grow reasonable fast. I keep the pots enclosed, either the pot in a plastic bag or terrarium to keep humidity up. I use r/o water and let the soil soak up water, but never let them stand constantly in water. Since they dry out slowly in my growing conditions it can take weeks between watering. Temps approx. 18-25 d. c. I guess specific temps depends from where your seed originates (mine are from Serra do Araca), but I would say growing conditions rather bordering to highland conditions than lowland. Although one can't ever be sure, I feel that they should do fine with Heliamphora-like conditions.

Regards,

Christer

Thanks for the infos, my terrarium has 25 °C during the day but it goes down to 8 °C at night now, so I'd better wait next spring to germinate the seeds.

Cheers,

Vale