Ut. capensis, Ut. delicatula, Ut. violacea, Ut. arnhemica

Dieter

Hi there,

I now obtained seeds of the species listed in the header (CPS seed bank). Some of the packs contain enough seeds to try out different sowing conditions. However, does someone here have experience with these species to recommend conditions like temperatures and light?

My plan is to put the seeds into my terrarium with 2 23 W energy saving bulbs and temperatures between 20 and 30 °C. They will currently get about 12 hours of light.

The seeds will be sowed on pure peat and the pots will stand 0.5 to 1 cm in water.

Thank you!

Dieter

I don't have much advice as I have only had germination success with seed I harvested from my own plants. I have read in Taylor that U. arnhemica seems to prefer very sandy soil and is occasionally found growing affixed to sandstone so you might want to keep that in mind.

Thank you for the information.

Giles, you seem to be correct. I checked the information I found on the web (with the same query I used before choosing the seed packets to order). I do not know why or how, but I must have missed that piece of information. At least I already know, how to get U. bisquamata germinating...

Best regards,

Dieter

I would reccommend daily spraying of the surface of the medium with water. I found that it addresses several issues I've had with germinating utric seeds.

The problem of germinating utric seeds seem to be one of preventing various contaminants and competitors from taking over before the seeds have a chance to germinate.

I am currently experimenting with sowing seeds on blocks of rock wool. I have also had minor success germinating them floating on the surface of a petri dish full of water.