...and another ID request...

Guest DireIce

Guest DireIce

I've added some more neps to my collection from family gifts but I'm uncertain about a few of them. Any help in IDing these would be most helpful:

nepenthes1.jpg

(?)

nepenthes2.jpg

(miranda?)

nepenthes3.jpg

(alata?)

nepenthes4.jpg

(truncata?)

and just as an extra my indoor growing area:

plantrack.jpg

This is used during the cold month here in the south (B'ham, Alabama)...otherwise these babies, with the exception of the sundews, are outside soaking up the sun and humidity we have down here during our warmer months.

Thanks in advance.

Hi DireIce.

I agree with 'gentle' and 'ventrata' too.

I think the fourth is N. truncata because of the leave's shape which is quite specific: it's heartshaped (but not very distinct on your picture). Veitchii's got more stretched leaves.

I hope it helps a bit.

Regards. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Direice

I know several other people have id'd your plants. Just thought that I would say pic No.2 is N. maxima x fusca or incorrectly known as N. 'Gentle'. As with the name 'Miranda', these are just names thought up by the Dutch growers who propagate these plants in the thousands. 'Miranda' is in fact an old victorian hybrid of N. mixta x maxima and the name 'Miranda' was given to the plant just so people could call it something other than the correct hybrid parentage, the same goes for 'Gentle' as well. The plant in pic 3 is N. ventrata which is naturally occuring hybrid between ventricosa and alata which comes from the Philippines. Pic 4 is definately a pure truncata. Unfortunately I don't know what pic 1 is.

Hope this is of some help

Cheers

Andy

Guest DireIce

Thanks for the information on the N. maxima ('gentle'). That certainly explains why i've had conflicting IDs on this plant. Now i know. Now if I can just find out what the heck that first one is....

• 2 weeks later...