Sarracenia in Dorset

Guest David Bird

Guest David Bird

Is there anyone on the forum who has knowledge of the Sarracenia species that have been introduced into a small valley in the Bryants puddle heath area. There seems to be Sarracenia flava plus another species similar to Sarracenia leucophylla

DSC_0146_Standard_e-mail_view.jpg

Sarracenia flava W.Dorset

David

Guest David Bird

Someone official had also been out spraying with Roundup last year as well and only a few plants were left alive. A lot of the dead and dying plants were also dug up later. Hopefully this has stopped and as long as the plants do not spread more than a few metres from the stream or cover the whole area will be left alone. I would certainly be interested in knowing the date of introduction and number of plants used or if seed was scattered to get a rough idea of the speed of colonisation.

Someone official had also been out spraying with Roundup last year as well and only a few plants were left alive. A lot of the dead and dying plants were also dug up later. Hopefully this has stopped and as long as the plants do not spread more than a few metres from the stream or cover the whole area will be left alone. I would certainly be interested in knowing the date of introduction and number of plants used or if seed was scattered to get a rough idea of the speed of colonisation.

hopefully they WILL keep spraying them off, the sooner people get the message that planting of non-natives in the wild is unacceptable the better!

a quick check online, that whole area is SSSI, SAC, SPA & RAMSAR site, basically designated up to its eyeballs for its nationally and internationally important fauna and flora.

Anyone planting exotics such as sarracenia in here should be shot...

=D> =D>

I agree Stephen. We would all like to see them in 'the wild' but in their true habitat not another endangered one.

I have made my view known on these type of introductions before.David you should be doing your best to destroy what remains of the colony -not trying to find out information that some would be enviromental ignoramous's could use to colonize there local bog or swamp.

I would certainly be interested in knowing the date of introduction and number of plants used or if seed was scattered to get a rough idea of the speed of colonisation.

Why people do this is beyond me( introduce them into the wild ) - grow them in your backyard to your hearts content -but why introduce them into natural enviroments . I know some use the argument that some of these introduced colonies are of such age to be defacto natives .

Okay i put this to them -why dont i introduce a myriad of africian and Assorted sundews into a bog in castelreagh reserve (outer west Sydney Australia ) i damn sure they would survive and create lasting colonies . In some years time they would be natives of sort (according to some)- SORT OF TAKES THE FUN OUT OF CPS AND PROPAGATION ,SWAPPING SEEDS, ETC DONT YOU THINK - see my point .

I am sure there would be some members on here that would colonise a bog or swamp with non natives given the opportunity or extra desire - The laws of averages say there must be some -your average joe blow doesn't go out and plant cps in local swamps -these are clearly cp people and most cp people visit these cp website at one time or another.

I think the CPUK should bar these non native postings and furthermore maybe even on the home page have a small AD giving the fact that CPUK is totally against introductions and any members with infromation on site locations could contact this number( ie uk national parks )(whoever would be best placed to destroy the colonies)or the authorities in whatever country they reside.

David this rambling is not directed at you - its directed at the people that continually seem to want to inflict there selfish self indulged actions on the rest of us law abiding cp people and the general public at large.

Belinda

Belinda - The forum stance on this issue has been made clear. Thanks to this thread being posted here, members are now aware that this is a designated site and that these plants should therefore be removed.

Aidan

I agree that CPUK is totally against plantings of this sort no matter what country they maybe in.

I just lose the plot slightly when i consider the people that do these plantings are in essence our own people - (Cpers) and tend to go off on tangents .NO different to entomologists introducing insects of sorts to the local forest - because they like the look of some butterfy or giant cockroach.Absolutely no difference ...

I'll keep my fingers off the keyboard on this issue in future , ive made my opinon known on enough occasions now.

regards Belinda

Guest David Bird

I was not really expecting this response and in no way am I advocating that anyone should release any alien plant into the wild especially into SSSI's. I, in fact, spend half of the year removing these from the Dorset Heaths. Since these colonies have already been introduced and are being monitored very carefully, as are those in the New Forest. I was hoping that the information I had asked for would give me a valuable insight on the rate of colonisation. One colony of Sarracenia purpurea became very extensive within a few years of its discovery, by the county ecologist, and has had a large quantity of herbicide used on it to remove the majority of it. I have asked before if this colony was started with seed which would explain the rapid spread. The colony of Sarracenia purpurea in the New Forest has a totally different pattern of growth but was known to have been started with 2 plants. We hope in future that the use of unselective herbicide, which has killed a lot of surrounding vegetation, will not be neccessary to keep the species in check and manual removal will be all that is neccessary. I was hoping to find out if another species was involved at Bryants Puddle as this appears to have been completely destroyed at the site and was never really identified before spraying. If anyone has any information that they do not wish to put out on the site they can pm me in confidence. This is basically an academic excercise and I am not out to either introduce plants or find out who is introducing them.

thanks

David

I Think cp people in general are embarrassed by the fact its probably one of us doing the plantings .

I hope you are successful in finding out the information you require to initiate better responsive and proactive control of the plantings .

In no way was my response directed at you ...

I just felt if somebody posted a response that stated for instance , i planted 20 seeds of a certain species in a particular soil type and it took 2 years for the colony to cover 2metres it could encourage other like minded people to do the same thing - using the information given as a basis for there plantings to achieve optimal results with a certain species .

Unfortunately a lot of people are not as ethical as you and i.

regards Belinda

Guest David Bird

Belinda,

I can see your point of view quite clearly as it is identical to the way I feel with introduced herpetofauna into the UK, which is really my subject and does seem to be having more serious consequences in one area on an endandered species. It is obvious to me that on both the reptile and carnivorous plant releases it is being carried out by persons with a far greater knowledge than most on their subject for the releases to have worked as they have. This does not mean they are part of this group or the mainstream of C P growers and no one who has this interest should feel embarrassed as you presumably have no control over it. The only person who should feel embarrassed should be the person that released the organisms in the first place and I am sure that with human nature as it is they will not, but believe that they feel they have suceeded with their aim.

The only way I believe we can counteract and possibly change this is to show the actual damage that has been done to the environment and the native species either by the naturalised species or the methods needed to remove them on a site by site basis. The mention of protected areas, what could happen and what the law says, in my experience, does not work and is actually counterproductive, the person releasing always having an answer for causing no problem in their particular case. They also become even more secretive travelling to more remote sites to carry out their deeds which can be more environmentally harmful in the long term.

David