Sign in to follow this  
Langy

Cors Fochno Fieldtrip

Hi, all

Q. How do 3 grown Welshmen spend a nice hot sunny September day?

A. Down the nearest pub, sipping on a few nice cold pints, playing a few rounds of pool, and chatting up the local women? 8)

NOPE ! :?

They (or well 2 of them) travel half-way accross the country to wade and crawl through a wet peat bog, looking for native C.P.s! :lol:

And this is what they found..

Typical peat bog habitat.

CF_habitat.JPG

The search begins, Adam (Droseraholic) left, and Ian Salter right.

CF_habitatsearch2.JPG

No I said the pond on your OTHER RIGHT!

CF_habitatsearch.JPG

Then BINGO !

Drosera anglica alongside D. rotundifolia.

CF_anglica_rotundifolia.JPG

Drosera anglica leaf curling around prey.

CF_anglicaprey.JPG

Drosera intermedia semi-submerged in water.

CF_intermedia.JPG

Some Drosera intermedia forming winter hybernacula.

CF_intermediahybernacula.JPG

Drosera rotundifolia or possibly D. x beleziana, we were there late in the season, however this plant was showing signs of a round/spatulate leaf, not the typical wider-than-long rotundate leaf.

CF_rotundifolia-xbeleziana.JPG

To enter parts of Cors Fochno Nature Reserve away from the marked out footpaths, you have to obtain a permit from the Reserve Warden at Ynyslas dunes (another part of the reserve).

So after getting our permits, and also having permission to collect some seed and plant material, we were off.

After arriving at the reserve car park (up a 1/4mile lane which almost claimed the life of Adams car by shacking it to pieces), Adam pointed out some Drosera intermedia and D. rotundifolia, growing along the sides (and partway in) some semi-dried up ponds.

The main point that supprised myself and Ian, was that these plants were growing very happily in a field with about a dozen ponies in it!

Some of the plants were even growing in the bottom of hoof-prints where the ponies had trampled all over the area!

So we had found our first 2 species, happily growing and trampled by ponies, all within 20meters of the car! :D

After taking photos, crawling about, and dodging hungry ponies, we set off to find the rarest Drosera in the UK.

We followed the public footpath, and boardwalk, but could only find more D. rotundifolia.

So we decided to use our permit and go 'off road' so to speak.

As we walked accross the bog, we could feel (and see) ourselfs 'bobbing', as our footsteps sent out 'ripples' accross the Sphagnum Bog.

There were D. rotundifolia everywhere, we couldnt help but step on them, D. intermedia was also growing in abundance.

The first Drosera anglica find was made by none other but yours truely 8) , it was also a monster. Growing slightly shaded but some heather and grasses, it must have had a spread of about 5inches, and it was also the only D. anglica plant in that area. The main colony was on the other side of the boardwalk area, about 500meters away.

But were kept looking for the main colony/area for D. anglica, which we found (after a while).

There were groups of plants growing in small depressed areas all accross the bog. They seemed to prefer these slightly lower areas, only a few inches lower than the surrounds. Maybe its the slightly higher water level, or more protection from the winds?

However if we followed an old tractor track or a natural dip, we would find D. anglica in there somewhere!

In a few places we found all 3 D. anglica, D. intermedia and D. rotundifolia all growing side-by-side within a single square foot!

So many photos were taken, some seed collected (seed will be donated to the CPS Seedbank, and to the CPUK Forum Auctions), and slightly wet feet/knees/elbows (teach me for not bringing wellies, and laying down on a peat bog to take photos!).

All-in a good day out.

A return trip during the main growing season next year is already in the pipline!

:wavey:

Langy

Can't add too much to Langy's report other than it was a very educational day out.

It took a little getting used to, What I can only describe as walking on the biggest water-bed I have ever seen. The photo's give the appearance of firm ground, But 80% is either bouncy or what felt like being on a floating mass (never seen land ripple 'til now).

D. rotundifolia seemed the most diverse of the three sundews, not seeming to mind where it grew apart from the almost submerged mats of sphagnum moss.

D. intermedia were dotted around with many colonies favouring pond margins and very happy in bare peat.

And as Langy noted the D. anglica seemed to prefer depressions and what may have been run-offs, old tractor furrows and reclaimed drainage ditches (quite easy to find along these).

Thanks Lads for getting me involved, Looking forward to more :D

Nice to see more pictures from Cors Fochno, it's a superb location where you can see all three native sundews in profusion. I thoroughly enjoyed my trip there with Adam last summer, except for the bit where my wellies filled with water whilst photographing plants!

I'm sure you all enjoyed yourselves.

Vic

It's amazing how similar these swamps look to some of those down here when viewed from a distance. Very nice report.

A Grand Day Out! :D

From the photo, I reckon the plant is D.rotundifolia.

Aidan, All of the D. rotundifolia did seem typical in as much as they have the typical wide sugar spoon shape, but this one was slightly more rounded and tapering at the base (so different at least).

And as we're on the subject, Can someone tell me why hybrids are not very common when they are growing so close together?

And as we're on the subject' date=' Can someone tell me why hybrids are not very common when they are growing so close together?[/quote']

probably because they rarely cross-pollinate...each flower selfing as it closes...

I thoroughly enjoyed my trip there with Adam last summer, except for the bit where my wellies filled with water whilst photographing plants!

Hi, Vic

Thats why I didnt bother with wellies, just get stuck in there.

At one point I was lying down on wet Sphagmun taking some photos of Drosera intermedia. As I stood up Adam and Ian had a slightly worried look on their faces :? , they probably thought I had fallen through the bog :tu:

Woz.

Dont worry mate theres going to be another trip next year, so you have another chance to come along, you'll love it there trust me!

Langy

Hi, all

Heres a few more photos from the field trip..

Adam with his water-proof ground sheet. (Wimp :tu: )

CF_habitatsearch3.JPG

One of the many ponds scattered about the area.

CF_pond.JPG

A typical Drosera anglica.

CF_anglica.JPG

A small group of Drosera intermedia growing in a shallow depression.

CF_intermedia2.JPG

Drosera rotundifolia and Drosera intermedia growing in bare peat.

CF_rotund-inter.JPG

A small Drosera rotundifolia plant.

CF_rotundifolia.JPG

Im sure that Adam is still yet to post some photos that he took during the day.

Langy

When did I say that??? :tu:

While were on the subject of hybrids I meant Aidan, It was just apparent that hybrids there were very elusive.

The photo's came out nice Langy, And thanks for showing the world the effects that high virility has on the hairline :tu:

And just for that--

Langy only had wet elbows because he was pretending to be upside-down in the mire by waving his legs in the air (did make us laugh though).

Adam where's your photo's? :D

Guest Aidan

Ian - You have the wrong end of the stick. :tu: I apparently said something I didn't actually say! See Stephen's post above.

OK, here's my update to the thread (finally!!):

This is a continuation from last year's visit to the site (my first) with Vic Brown, see this old thread:

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5597

Anyway, after seeing what a wonderful site it was for UK Drosera species (where all 3 - Australian forum members can stop laughing now :evil::lol: - species, plus apparently their hybrids, grow in abundance), I thought I'd invite Langy and Ian along. They had never before seen any CPs growing in the wild, so what better place than where all the Sundews grew in the same location?! Also, at least a couple of Utric species (Utricularia australis and U.minor) are supposed to grow here, though unfortunately we didn't find any on Saturday. Pinguicula vulgaris grows in the nearby hills and mountain foothills, but not on the reserve itself as far as I know (lowland raised bogs are not its preferred habitat), and P.lusitanica grows further down the West Wales coast in Pembrokeshire. This meant that this trip was pure Sundew - and none the worse for it! I never ever tire of seeing these plants in the wild - even whenever I see Drosera rotundifolia growing in a roadside ditch (very common in the west & mid-Wales hills!), it always delights me, so seeing all 3 in one place is fantastic! Plus, I believe that Cors Fochno may be the only location in Wales where all 3 native Drosera species occur - there may be others, and I'd like to explore different areas in future, but here they grow in abundance all over the site. Anyway, enough boring commentry, onto the pics!

First, some general pics...

This is the Reserve Information Notice Board:

Reserve-Notice.jpg

(See the "Caution" sections - there are many ways to die here!)

A habitat shot, showing a couple of ephemeral pools - favoured by Drosera intermedia especially:

Habitat-01.jpg

A picture taken in general habitat - an area where many D.anglica were found. Ian is performing that time-honoured bog tradition of "de-flooding boots"! :

Habitat-02.jpg

A picture of Langy (or at least his hand!) taking a picture of D.rotundifolia:

Langy-Camera.jpg

Onto the plants...

1. Drosera rotundifolia:

A nice small plant with shining dew drops:

D-rotundifolia-01.jpg

Overhead shot of a nicely coloured round rosette with short petioles:

D-rotundifolia-02.jpg

A group of plants with seed heads:

D-rotundifolia-03.jpg

2. Drosera intermedia:

A group of deep-burgundy plants with seedheads and hibernacula starting to form:

D-intermedia-01.jpg

Closeup of a single plant with a leaf curling around prey - again forming a hibernaculum:

D-intermedia-02.jpg

A nice group of bright red plants:

D-intermedia-03.jpg

Another close-up:

D-intermedia-04.jpg

A colony of plants growing in their temporarily dry pond at the edge of farmland:

D-intermedia-05.jpg

The best colony of D.intermedia we found was just on some farmland in pools where ponies were grazing:

D-intermedia-06.jpg

The plants seem to thrive here, even growing on the edge of and even inside hoof-prints! The ponies probably crush some plants, maybe creating natural clumps growing from cuttings, and helping to distribute seeds no doubt! Notice the colonies of sundews in the above image, not far from where the ponies' feet are!

A shot of some plants - glowing in the early evening sun (note the pony hoof-prints):

D-intermedia-07.jpg

Plants at this location were quite robust and very beautiful - a shot of a large plant with forming hibernaculum:

D-intermedia-08.jpg

An overhead shot of plants growing around the edge of the pony hoof-prints (there's actually a plant growing in the bottom of the topmost hoof-print, though it isn't clear in this photo):

D-intermedia-09.jpg

A final view of a spread-out colony of plants:

D-intermedia-10.jpg

A shot of D.rotundifolia and D.intermedia growing side-by-side:

D-intermedia-rotundifolia.jpg

As Langy has already pointed out, we found a couple of places where all 3 species were growing with 3 - 5cm of each other! There must be hybrids... !

3. Drosera anglica:

General habitat shot (with a plant of D.anglica in the centre):

D-anglica-01.jpg

The plants were sometimes quite difficult to spot in the grasses in which they grew:

D-anglica-02.jpg

A closer view of the above plant:

D-anglica-03.jpg

Plants sometimes looked like an upright form of D.capensis from a distance:

D-anglica-04.jpg

Another plant, with leaves curling around prey (plus hand for reference!):

D-anglica-05.jpg

As the sun dipped in the sky towards early evening, the plants started to glow with the sun behind them, making them easier to spot in habitat:

D-anglica-06.jpg

Finally, a nice glowing Drosera anglica:

D-anglica-07.jpg

Well, I hope you enjoyed the photos. It was certainly a fun day, and better still less than an hour's drive from my home, so I'll be visiting again asap!

I'll be visiting again asap!

Hi, Adam

Not without me you wont :!:

Also next time, we will be a little more prepared to look for those elusive hybrid Drosera, with research books, descriptions etc.

They can grow but they cant hide.... :evil:

Langy

My hats off to you Adam, The photo's really show the habitat for what it was on the day, And I love the way you captured the horses and D.intermedia in the same shot (well done mate).

And your right Langy, Next year no hybrid will escape (Sign up now for the biggest CPUK bog trot meeting of 2006) :evil:

Thanks lads, Nice photo's.

And if anyones wondering, My 1.3 M pixel camera just doesn't cut the mustard with these guys, so I have not added pics of my own.

great shots guys, looks like a well maintained site and what a great way to spend the day, i bet you needed a refreshing drink after!!

Hi Adam.

Again, some great pictures. I'm gutted that I couldn't go. I started a job that week and they wanted me to work overtime, 6-6 Fri-Saturday. I was gutted that I couldn't come on the trip as Langly offered to pick me up on his way(Thanks Langly, much appreciated) and gutted that I had to work 12 hours Fri + Sat as I hate working overtime. Count me in next time lads, it looks like you all had a great day. As Langly rightly said, we'll have to look out for some hybrid Drosera as well.