Sarracenias in the Lake District

Perhaps I'm missing something deeply important here, but Sarracenia purpurea ain't exactly an endangered species - hands up any Sarra growers who don't have one form or another?! Is the world of CP growing going to collapse because some introduced plants are removed - I rather think not. Of course I would only condone responsible removal by parties mindful of the fragility of the local habitat, as opposed to people digging them up for a quick buck.

As nice as it is to see plants growing in the wild, is it really any different (at least in the case of an introduced species), to see that plant thriving in a garden? Several pictures on this forum show very healthy Purp's in people's bog gardens. So why bother planting them in the wild - conservation? Hardly! Can anyone explain?

Ideally the plants would be removed from the wild, and replanted in collections which could be enjoyed by the many, without risking any harm to the environment.

I have to say that I support this. :lol:

Glad to see this thread revived, only been 5 months! Since it seems there are a few who know locations and many who don't (probably the best thing for the greater good of those locations re. increased human disturbance for a glimpse of a purp. in the wild), would it not be best if those who know locations just informed the relevant authorities and had the plants removed? No-one other than those with location info, and the authorites and landowners need know. I think it would be wholly irresponsible to publicly declare locations on the forum for reasons previously discussed, but surely if habitat conservation is any sort of concern to people in the know, the best plan would be to have the planted purps removed?

NOOOOOOOOOO

:lol: people who do that just... anger me beyond extent.. any ways notice the lack of pigment? those are grown in Full sun, i am blocking it out due to the time of day, and my positioning on the walk.

I proudly payed for them, first one was a Hardware store Save (lowes first one ever owned!! :D) And the second was a online buy from a trustworthy site.

and it doesnt help the way i worded it for you to asume that does it ? :)

Cheers

I am glad to hear that. It was the way your post as worded that made it look that way. Showing first the wild pictures then pics with the title last years growth, I did notice the colour difference, but just because there are all green types in that location it does not necessarily mean there are no coloured forms as well.

Your plants should be nice looking this year once the growing season gets under way.