Amazing SW Western Australia!

Dan

Hi all,

I've just arrived home after a month walking in the Kimberley region of NW Australia (photos of Utrics and sundews to be posted later). My walking companion and I had a morning in Perth on our way home, and decided to search for some sundews. Within about 20 km of Perth airport, and without trying too hard, we had quickly discovered 12 species of drosera! The southwest of Western Australia is truly amazing in terms of species diversity. Below are but a couple of the many photos from the morning trip.

Enjoy!

ZONARIA.JPG

D. zonaria (both red and green forms occur at this one site)

STOLONIFERA.JPG

D.stolonifera

ERECT_DROSERA.JPG

ERECT_FLOWER.JPG

A beatiful erect drosera and it's flower (any tips on it's identity would be welcome!)

The other species seen were D. gigantea, D. menziesii, D. macrantha, D. erythrorhiza, D. walyunga, D. rosulata, D. zigzagia, D. glanduligera and a pygmy that would couldnt ID positively.

Hi Greg,

Yep, we did see some Byblis (see below - dunno if its liniflora or filifolia). However, as it was the dry season they were pretty scarce. We only saw the one in the photos below because it was in flower. You can appreciate that they'd be pretty hard to see amongst the grass when not in flower.

BYBLIS.JPG

BYBLIS_CLOSE.JPG

Cheers,

Dan.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Greg,

I just noticed you post (after several months it seems!). I think your call of B.rorida might be a good one. We saw this plant on the Mitchell Plateau (NW KImberley). CALM's Floarabase database has several occurrences of this plant in the vicinity. Unfortunately, the one plant we saw was not in seed at the time.

btw. craig and i are angling to get up to the Kimberley again this year for another extended walk, so perhaps there might be some more photos to show in the coming months.

cheers,

Dan.