Sign in to follow this  
C_Skinner

S.Minor ok for winter outdoors?

Hi all. Just wondering if S.Minor types are ok to be left outdoors all year round. I have a big pot with an S.Minor and S.Purpurea, and would like to leave it outdoors if safe. Cheers

Chris

Hello Chris.Well I should think it would be fine as well although my pessimism would make me seperate the s.minor in winter. I moved to Cornwall a few years ago and worked out that the gulf stream as well as being a hundred or so miles south of london would make this a lot warmer for my plants...and it doesnt seem to.My fig trees got a bashing in winter and are slowly recovering and the inlaws in south London had a bumper crop!!. I cannot remember the exact temperature but it is certainly milder in cities.....

I guess i could shove a load of decompsed grass and stuff around it from the compost heap to elp insulate the pot slightly to make sure. What about watering for outdoor plants? can they cope with the rain and dampness of the winter months? I know u have to let the trays in a gh dry out a bit through the winter. Cheers

Chris

Can you get a cheap cold frame to winter your plants in? Minors aren't much to look at over the winter, so you won't miss much.

I have an 8x6 greenhouse but i fancy leaving some plants outdoors over winter, mainly the S.Minor as the pot is so large and heavy to handle.

Chris

Well why not take off a bit of the minor and insulate the rest.that way if it does die you have a bit to re-colonise...you never know though..It may do it good and next year have a realy robust plant!!

if you are living in London, they should be reasonably well sheltered. I would give it a try. S. minor does have its range in North Carolina and can get pretty cold there.

I was waiting for you to come in Mike :D ..Job done I rekon Chris :D