Is anyone in a position to explain why...

LauraZ5

Is anyone in a position to explain why the same plant can shoot up pitchers devoid of color from the same crown from which pitchers with good pigmentation come?

I have S. flava var. cuprea. The plant has pitchers that have wonderful copper coloration on a few pitchers as well as pitchers that are very green where it is most obvious there is no nice copper color. I do not understand how pitchers from the same plant can be so different.

Guest Aidan

Insufficient light is the normal answer for plants not attaining their full colour. Another possible reason is division/repotting. If divided in when in growth, S. flava in particular will often not 'colour-up' until the following year.

I deemed 9 hours of direct sun to be sufficient but perhaps I am wrong? What would you deem to be sufficient? The particular plant, of which I speak, has not had the benefit of that much sun though as I was at the greenhouse where it was being grown and it appears it would have only been receiving 6 hours of direct sun although it did receive the benefit of a considerable amount of indirect light. Next year it will get 9 hours of direct sun so let's see what happens. The plant has not been divided recently and is in the same pot it most probably was in for at least two years perhaps even three. I can wait and see. I'll keep notes and take photos and compare this year's color in fall with the color the plant will display next year in the fall of '06. I will not repot it in favor of leaving it be. This should prove to be interesting as I am in an ideal position to see what comes of this being the plant is a recent acquisition. This will be fun.