Sign in to follow this  
johnvdw

Field trip "Nieuwkoopse plassen" (The Netherlands)

Hello everybody,

Inspired by the fieldtrips on this forum (especially from Down Under), I decide to make a field trip close to my home. The area is called the "Nieuwkoopse plassen". This is an area with a few lakes and a labyrinth of ditches and canals with large fields of reed and some small meadows. Here some rare plants and animals (like the black tern and it has the largest breeding colony of purple herons) can be found.

Some of the ditches are home to bladderworths, in some cases even lots of them on a stretch of a few hundered meters, see the photographs below (probably it is Utricularia vulgaris).

slocatie15ba.jpg

utricalaria21es.jpg

A few kilometers further there were some special meadows with some rare gentians (Gentiana pneumonanthe).

gentiaan9yk.jpg

Hidden in the grass I found a few sundews. Both Drosera intermedia and D. rotundifolia. D. rotundifolia can be found on other places in the area but it was the first time that I found D. intermedia in this area.

dintermedia31ph.jpg

drotloc26gb.jpg

Somewhat further I found many more sundews (all D. rotundifolia) and in the nearby ditch again some bladderworths, growing in less shallow water than the previous utric's (I guess it is U. vulgaris again or could it be U,. australis ??).

drotundifolialoc36kl.jpg

utriclocatie36bi.jpg

cpsnieuwkoop0121eq.jpg

A few hunderd meters away there were some more ditches with bladderworths.

utriclocatie45mi.jpg

The locations that I visited are all accesable from the road, some other places in this area, only accessable by boat, are also rich in sundews (D. rotundifolia) and bladderworths.

Regards, John

Nice pictures John.

I'm surrounded by ditches and dykes where I live but I've yet to see any CPs in or around them.

Nice pictures John.

I'm surrounded by ditches and dykes where I live but I've yet to see any CPs in or around them.

Why don't you try sowing a few random seeds out there in the parts that no-one ventures. They might even catch on and spread in the next year or two. Wow that would be AWEsOME!

(Is it legal :wink:)

lol :)

Edit: Hope I havn't landed myself into the 'Too Young and Too Stupid' category there.. :wink: