CPs in Norfolk, UK (56K warning)

I was returning from a visit to my parents in Norfolk and though I would stop off and spend a few minutes CP hunting.

I found what I think were: D. rutundifolia, D. anglica, P. grandiflora and some sort of Utric (possibly).

Anyway, enjoy the pics.

pic0015sj.jpg

pic0027fi.jpg

pic0038bl.jpg

pic0043po.jpg

pic0054iu.jpg

pic0063pa.jpg

pic0070wr.jpg

pic0087iw.jpg

pic0096mw.jpg

pic0101pb.jpg

pic0111rm.jpg

Cheers,

Nice photos Chris - looks like a good spot there. Your identifications look to be right, with the exception of the final photo which is not a Utric but a legume, Lotus pedunculatus. Looking in my atlas there don't seem to be all that many locations in Norfolk where those species occur together. Do you have any photos of the area as a whole?

Giles

Nice photos.

Er, I think that last pic is a birds foot trefoil not a utric, though we do have some of the aquatics here.

Nice to see there's still some cps around in the wild here in Norfolk. I've only seen D.rotundifolia - once - in the North of the county and what I was told was U.minor in the west. Could you say roughly where the pics were taken?

Ah, that's a shame. I do the same - take pictures of the plants but forget the habitat. It really helps to put them in context - after all, these species look the same the world over but the habaitats differ somewhat. I meant to add that the English name of final photo is Greater Bird's Foot Trefoil, the larger, hairier wetland version of normal Bird's Foot Trefoil.

Giles

Actually Aidan, I think I agree with you. Comparing the photos with the P. grandiflora I have in my mini-bog it is obvious the plants in the photos have much narrower leaves with more turned up edges.

I just assumed that it was because of the less than ideal conditions that nature provides compared to my perfect mini-bog! :roll:

Cheers,

Yes, that's why I consulted my plant distribution atlas first. P. grandiflora is shown as occurring near Manchester, West Wales, near Weymouth, Somerset and Devon (information current up to 2000). There isn't any reason to suspect anything else but P. vulgaris, although it is true that there are a lot of idiots out there who go round introducing things where they don't belong.

Giles

Guest Sheila
Great Photos

Wish Anglica was native to Australia - beautiful plant

regards Belinda

Don't you think you have enough over there? you already have all the best ones :(