Drosera Slackii going black!

flycatchers

Hi

I have been growing my Drosera Slackii from its original plant I brought in 1990. So although I must be sucessful in growing and propagating it I still have quite a few losses.

A plant is doing really well with nice red/green dewy leaves. Them I find the new growth starts to go black around the edges and also gets smaller.And after a while you are left with a dead mound of leaves :cry:

Even cutting off the top growth and hoping the roots will reprout does not seem to work. I have not spotted any aphids on these plants. I am growing my plants in either a peat/sand mix or more recently in LFS. But this problem keeps reoccuring. I lost loads last winter and even now a number are looking poorly. They are in a water tray and either in full or semi shaded sun. What am I doing wrong?

cheers

bill

Hi, I just started growing D Slackii from seed so would like to know more about what the problems are.

Is it possible it is somewhat analagous to the problems people seem to get with D Alicae, where in too much sun it goes dark red/brown, shrink in size and eventually dies, bringing them into the shade in some cases seems to revive them. Fungus has also been mentioned after getting the leaves wet, however I have yet to see this and my alicaes leaves frequently get submerged in water.

I was hoping Slackii would be farely similar in its requirements to Alicae, any thoughts?

Guest Sheila

When were the plants last repotted? I could see black tips on new growth on my slackii this year. It hadn't been repotted for about 4 years, so I put it in fresh peat and sand, and it seems to have cured the problem for me.

When were the plants last repotted? I could see black tips on new growth on my slackii this year. It hadn't been repotted for about 4 years, so I put it in fresh peat and sand, and it seems to have cured the problem for me.

Hi Sheila

That might be it as certainly a lot of my plants have not been repotted for a while. Is it too late in the season to do it now?

cheers

bill

Guest Sheila

If your plant is going black, I don't think you have much to lose doing it now. I had a similar problem with D. admirabilis a couple of weeks ago, I repotted all six plants, one doesn't appear to be doing too well, all the old gowth died off but the centre is still nice and green, all the others are ok. I think if you are careful not to damage the roots, and give it shade for a few days until it settles in the pot it should be ok.

Hi Manders,

So you think it wants hot temps? Interesting. I thought it was because I wasn't stratifying that I didn't get results. Anyone have a large quantity of fresh slackii seed for me to experiment with? (I'd better check the fridge first to see if I still have any of the seed my buddy sent me months back first).

On a related note, I've got a lot of D.rubriflora seedlings - a newly described plant from S.Africa. My biggest is under an inch but the leaves remind me a lot of slackii. Looks like it will be a real beauty!

Matt