Sign in to follow this  
cgarry

Drosera binata cuttings

After reading on this forum just how simple it is to propagate Drosera by leaf cutting I thought I'd give it ago.

Drosera binata var. multifida cuttings after 3 weeks:

cutting11vs.jpg

Drosera binata T-form cutting after 4 weeks:

cutting21ud.jpg

So from this experiment I have learnt:

(A) the cuttings don't always work

and

(B) I'm going to have lots of spare var. multifida plants at some point!

Cheers,

They look very promising!

How long do you intend on leaving them in the water for? And what do you do next with them? I ask as its something I'm doing as well just now.

Rich

Rich,

To be honest I'm not sure of the answer to either of your questions - but I am confident that this forum is the place to find out. This is sort of why I've posted pictures - and will post some more when the plantlets are ready to be moved to a pot, so that those who follow us later on will know what stage the cutting needs to get to before it is moved to a pot.

Cheers,

Aidan's link seems to answer our questions Chris :) I guess the best thing to do now is try it and see!

Rich

Hi Milosko,

The containers were sealed - they are actually small food storage containers.

I changed the water once each week. It didn't need changing as the water never showed any signs of going green, but I changed it anyway.

Cheers,

Here is an update to the cuttings.

Drosera binata var. multifida cuttings after 4 weeks:

cuttingwk4a4wg.jpg

At this point I decided to pot the cuttings up. I filled a pot up with peat and then used a sieve to put a layer of very fine peat at the top of the pot. I then used my fingers to gently compress this so the surface was firm.

I then placed the cuttings onto the surface, with the new growing points upwards. Next a layer of fine peat was sieved onto the surface until the cuttings were just covered. I then used a mister/sprayer to gently spray the surface of the pot with rain water until the growing points of the cuttings were exposed.

The freshly potted cuttings:

cuttingwk4b5tn.jpg

The pot was then put into my terrarium.

Two weeks later and the cuttings are looking well.

Drosera binata var. multifida cuttings after 2 weeks in the pot (6 weeks since cuttings were taken):

cuttingwk6a2tn.jpg

Close-up of the cuttings:

cuttingwk6b7zj.jpg

Cheers,

The container was about half full of water, so the water was between 2.5 cm and 3 cm deep.

Is it worth pulling together all the info from this post (and other posts on the subject) together and producing a Drosera cutting FAQ with photos?

Chris,

Good info, nice to see this method working :)

My D.capensis cuttings using this method are coming along, but I think it will be a few more weeks in water yet before I pot out.

Rich

The container was about half full of water, so the water was between 2.5 cm and 3 cm deep.

Is it worth pulling together all the info from this post (and other posts on the subject) together and producing a Drosera cutting FAQ with photos?

I'd like to read your FAQ. My own cuttings are coming along a treat.

Any chance of an update on the plants in the pictures above?

I'd like to read your FAQ. My own cuttings are coming along a treat.

Any chance of an update on the plants in the pictures above?

I haven't completed the FAQ yet, I was waiting to see how my D. filiformis, D. spatulata and D. intermedia cuttings came along with the same technique before posting. It sounds like your cuttings are coming on well. Have they been potted yet?

I'll post an updated photo of the binata cuttings when I see them next (at the weekend).

Cheers,

I think this would be a worthwhile endeavor.

Just a quick update.

Drosera binata var. multifida cuttings after 5 weeks in the pot (9 weeks since cuttings were taken):

cuttings-wk9.jpg

Cheers,