Quick question about cutting back previous growth

C_Skinner

Hi all. Lately i have been wanting to make my Sarracenia a bit more eye friendly, and was wondering if its ok to cut back old pitchers once new growth for the year has started, even if the old traps still look OK. Some older traps droop and dangle out of the pot/tray and i want to cut them down.

Chris

Guest Aidan

You may remove the old growth if you wish to.

Some growers cut their plants down to the ground every year. Personally, I leave anything still alive alone. Old growth often forms a significant part of a plants photosynthetic area and I suspect that removing it all may slow overall growth.

yeah tis a fair point... ive left a few older leaves on, but chopped the ones dangling and drooping everywhere. Ive waited until now so the plant has a lot of new growth being sent up to help with photosynthesis. Hope its ok :)..... found a nasty sized cetrpillar on one of them yesterday! thought it was a snail to begin with which i had found previously and removed, but noticed that my traps were still being munched! found a sneaky caterpillar on a trap, camouflauged very well! took me a while to spot