SW Giant x Slack's Giant

vic brown

Two years ago I crossed the plants I had received as South West Giant (from SW Carnivores) and Adrian Slack's Giant (from gardenofeden), in the hope of breeding a large-trapped VFT to rival or exceed it's parents. Last year I thinned out the dozens of seedlings keeping only the largest ones. Out of the 14 remaining plants, one is showing definite promise and is already over twice the size of it's siblings. It's currently about 8cm across and the largest trap is 1.8cm, not bad for a seedling less than 2 years old.

SWGxSG05.jpg

Only time will tell if it has real potential, but so far so good. :)

As well as growing the seeds from this cross myself, I also distributed several hundred to other CPUK members in July 2003, both in the UK and elsewhere, and the main purpose of this post is to try and find out if anyone else had much luck with them?

Cheers

Vic

Vic,

These two are from the Slack x SWG seed, which were the largest VFT seed I have ever seen.

The bigger, VFT ‘V1' has 1 inch traps. Both of these will flower next season. I now wish that I had pushed them along, but I did not.

All the seed, except one germinated, and all are alive and growing. I am not going to cull any of them out until they are fully mature.

The photos are of the same two Slack x SWG plants, with V1 in front in the upper photo and V2 in front in the lower photo.

VFTV1front.jpg

VFT ‘V1' in front

VFTV2front.jpg

VFT ‘V2' in front

Thanks again for the generous gift.

Brad

Ventura California

Some traits are not genetically coded, some are. Most red clones are true breeders and will give you seedlings with red foliage, too. Other clones show only vegetative different growth and have to be propagated by leaf cuttings or splitting of bigger plants.

Jan

Guest Aidan
I was under the impression that any crossed VFT will only produce typical VFT seeds? at least thats what ive allways heard.... <<< confused

Chris

Chris - I suspect that you have misinterpreted what you have heard, which is that VFT do not come true from seed and therefore you can not label the offspring as being the same as the parents.

In this case Vic has selected and crossed two large clones in an attempt to breed an even better large plant. There is no guarantee of success and most if not all of the offspring will prove to be typical plants. However, some may turn out to be larger or indeed smaller than usual. Or differ in some other way from the norm.

Who knows, in a few years time Vic may be registering the new Dionaea cultivar 'Mr Brown's Pink Midget'! :mrgreen:

Vic,

These two are from the Slack x SWG seed, which were the largest VFT seed I have ever seen.

Brad

Ventura California

Great looking plants Brad - could I ask what you are growing them in?

Thanks,

Dunc,

The pot is a clear plastic drinking cup, which at the top is 3inch diameter and the height of the cup is 4inches. The soil substrate mix is 50/50 peat moss/silica sand.

These both were about the size of Vic’s two largest plants above, the upper and lower plants (12 o’clock and 6 o’clock) of his. Mine were probably smaller actually. Then they were repotted into this new pot (cup) in Feb. and set outside to grow. They have really taken off in size growing exponentially with each new leaf.

If you look at my lower pic, on the left about 7 o’clock there is a small open trap and an even smaller closed trap a bit lower. When repotted in Feb. the traps were the small size and now they are much bigger, measuring one inch size.

Hopefully the vigor of the excellent UK dionaea stock (G16 x SWG) has been passed on to these guys. Time will tell, definitely by next spring.

Brad

Ventura California

Who knows, in a few years time Vic may be registering the new Dionaea cultivar 'Mr Brown's Pink Midget'! :mrgreen:

Actually, IF I do succeed with producing a large VFT distinctive enough to deserve cultivar status, I'll probably call it after one of my childhood heroes; Dionaea "Norman Hunter", who's probably more famous for the flag which appeared on Match of the Day in the early 70's and became a household phrase, as he was for his aggressive tackling; "Norman Hunter Bites Your Leg".

:lol:

Vic