Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'branching'.
Found 2 results
I have a nepenthe Alana (I think) that’s been vigorously growing for about four years. It has well over 100 growing tips with some tendrils over 20 feet in length. This year, after flowering in March, new branches started growing from a node just beneath the flower spike. As I’m not looking for seed I’ve cut off the flowers soon after they appeared fortunately the branches continued to grow on at least 50% of the growing tips plus all the other branching that develop normally. The new pitcher development is abundant A problem I’ve had in the past, I’m hoping not this year, is that although the pitchers last a long time, if fact many from last year are still alive and packed with insects, they (the upper half of the pitchers ) turn brown within the first 2-3 months. This doesn’t seem problematic for the overall health of the plant but it isn’t very attractive. Does anyone know a way to prevent it or at least stop it from happening this year - photo attached _
Hi There, a few years ago the owner of Joel's Carnivorous Plants led me to try out nutrients on some of my Dionaea Muscipula specimens. After trying out what he recommended to me, I decided to try other products. I ran across something called KLN, which contains IBA. I created a mixture of this and other nutrients(not really homogenous at all), and tested it out on some plants. After some weeks, I discovered how we can make the roots of Dionaea branch. I later shared this information with Joel Garner, and he too conducted the experiment himself. The vertical roots of Dionaea put us at a disadvantage because they are more prone to dry out since they use only a minimal amount of medium to extract water from. If they were to branch out a little bit more, they would use more water and stay hydrated longer, like most trees. Using what I've been calling the BMC Method, I believe that this can help plants stay more hydrated. In the pictures(courtesy of Joel Garner), you will notice that the tips of the roots start to callous and branch out a bit. I will be conducting more experiments with the KLN on other CP's soon. I just thought that I should write this because I know a couple other people are aware of this experiment, so this will let people know who discovered this.