Quick intro: when I was younger I had a nice collection of CP's, but I had to quit the hobby because of my studies.
Because I have a lot more spare time at the moment/in the foreseeable future, I've decided to get back at it :)
However, it's been almost 10 years so some things have become foggy.
So if someone could help me out real quick it'd be greatly appreciated!
- When is the best time to purchase Sarracenias? (I'd think right after dormancy before they start growing?)
- I discovered some leftover Sarracenia seeds in my fridge (stored in an envelope, so dry and cool). These must be 7 to 8 years old. I know the long period in the fridge isn't exactly beneficial, but hey, worth a shot right? I was thinking of putting them in an airtight ziplock bag with some finely chopped moist sphagnum for about 4 weeks to give them the required stratification. (in the fridge)
- Do you guys think its worth the trouble? Or too old?
- If some sarras germinate, would the seedlings be okay in a ventilated terrarium between SA drosera? (artificial light, temp. +/- 25). I'd keep them about 1 to 2 years in there to help them grow, after which i would gradually place them in less forgiving circumstances to make them more resilient. After all they have to get somewhat tougher for their first dormancy, right?
- Would the same treatment described above (the stratification, germination and the first years in a terrarium between Drosera) also work for Darlingtonia and/or Dionaea?
Thanks in advance!
P.S.: I have no idea which species of Sarracenia the seeds are from, but -as I never crossed species to get hybrids- they should be from a pure species ^^
(fingers crossed for leucophylla )