Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation on 03/30/2015 in all areas

  1. 1 point
    Some people like to grow Cephalotus in aerated, well drained soil, containing all sorts of materials. So, I decided to go quite the opposite, planting in an un-drained container (Christmas pudding tub), in pure peat and flooded on a weekly basis. I have been growing it this way since Autumn. I last watered it yesterday and here are pictures of it today.
  2. 1 point
    Oh so sorry for your lost.... But if rockwool will do the job perhaps ill try something like that too. I now have tiny "wall" just with sphagnum moss (it's about 10cm x 10cm) just to check how my pings are feeling vertically.
  3. 1 point
    I've shipped quite a few tubes and flasks from the FlytrapStore International to the EU, so it's definitely over there. You should be able to find it in people's collections. Alternatively, you could order one from the store. I've taken all cultures out of stock until the fall, but I still take private orders by request as I have time.
  4. 1 point
    I've always liked these, U. leptoplectra, the first Utric that ever caught my attention, although it was many years later before I found out what it actually was. It was the shape of the flower that intrigued me. And it's ironic that it grows naturally on my place by the hundreds. I bought this place long after my first encounter with U. leptoplectra, and was unaware it grew here. It's normally the first in the season of the Utrics that are native to my place to flower. Generally the Utrics here flower a bit later in the wet season rather than earlier when the rains first set in. I personally believe it's an adaptation to avoid the floods that are common throughout the wet season. Although, we still can get late floods, as is expected in a couple of days time when Tropical Cyclone Nathan approaches us. The Utrics still cope and even after being flattened soon have a new lot of flowers. Rear view
  5. 1 point
    During the week, I began working on the left side of the wall, slowly removing all the remaining PIngs. Here's a view of when it was about 1/2 done: And here with all the Pings removed, but still with lots of Utrics (which were under the mesh): Here's a view of some of the plants removed from the wall as well as a tray with leaves (which I hope will make many new babies to repopulate the new walls): I proceeded to pick the Pings clean of their leaves, not only to use them as leaf cuttings, but also because it's easier to replant the Pings when they are reduced to just their center-most leaves: All those leaves filled several trays and tupperwares: This past weekend I began working on the second (left) panel. Here's a picture of the panel on my floor, about to start the work (Ping leaves piled high on the bottom left): Here's a view of the wall after removal of the second panel: Here's the panel on the floor, the beginning of another 7h of work: Here's me trying to slowly peel back the mesh, while cutting the fishing line holding it in place, and trying not to damage the U.asplundii: Half the panel clean of soil: And here completely clean (notice on the background the package of dried Sphagnum, bag with cubes of rock wool, and roll of bird netting): The U.asplundii were separated from the mesh, seen here together with some Pings: But the smaller Utrics like U.sandersonii were placed into a strainerm for later separation from the soil using strong jets of water (a technique I developed many years ago for making nice clean herbarium specimens back in Brazil): Flipping the eggcrate over, it was suprising to see that the Sphagnum on the backside looked pretty good and not decomposed (as with the other panel removed a few days earlier). There was even some etiolated U.asplundii growing there: From there I did the same as with the previous panel: cut it in two smaller pieces, cover with a layer of rock wool, then a thick(er?) layer of Sphagnum, cover with bird netting, tie it all together with zip ties, then back on the wall where it is tied to nails using fishing line, and finally the porous hose is sewed along the top edge. Here are some pics of the panels going back on the walll: And the finishing touch was to replant all the Pings and Utrics: I also added some sundews I got from friends Dana Gardner and Josh Brown (owner of Predatory Plants). I did not add that D.hamiltonii you see in a pot in some pics because it is about to flower and I don't want to bother it -- I've never seen live D.hamiltonii flowers, but hope to see some soon! :) Anyway, I hope you al enjoyed! I will continue updating regularly, wish me luck! Best wishes, Fernando Rivadavia
  6. 1 point
    OK, so last weekend I took down the first of the two panels. It was pretty dry, thus manageable for a single person to carry. Here's the empty wall after I removed the panel. I was happy to see there was no mold and it seemed in perfect condition - probably thanks to the hard plastic sheet we placed behind the sphagnum panel. Here you can see the empty space with just the porous hose irrigation sticking out: I covered my floor with a big plastic sheet and placed the panel flat on the ground, then removed all the remaining Pings, then with scissors started cutting the bird netting and nylon fishing line we'd used to sew everything together. Peeling back the bird netting, removed the old soil and threw it away in a garbage back, saving any remaining Utrics - while collecting any worms and pill bugs (there were a lot!!) to feed my aquarium fish. Finally I was able to remove the "top" layer of soil and thus separate the eggcrate from the 'back" layer: As mentioned above, I cut the eggcrate into two pieces, to make it easier to move the panels in the future. And this time I decided to do only one side of the eggcrate, leaving the back exposed. It was really not necessary to have the back side anymore, because I had decided not to fill it with a soil mix like we had before. I recently got my hands on a bunch of rockwool from my friend Mike Chinn (thanks Mike!) and decided to try using this as the first layer on top of the eggcrate. And for the second and last layer I chose just pure sphagnum moss. Here they are soaking before being applied: So here I am spreading the rock wool onto the eggcrate: And then spreading the sphagnum on top of the rockwool: I then grabbed one of the two new panels and placed it on top of a bucket for support, proceeding to then place a large piece of bird netting on top of it: Then I started attaching the zip ties, smaller ones all around the edges and larger ones in the middle: I did the same for the second half, and about 8h later both panels were done and up on the wall again! The new panel was is held in place by strong fishing line, sewed through the panel and tied to nails on either side drilled into the wall. The porous hose was then sewed along the top of the panel using a very thin fishing line. Here's a view of my work space right before the second panel went up. You can see my bucket stool with a set cushion, as well as 2 garbage bags of old soil:
  7. 1 point
    Hello everyone, It's been several months since my last update. A lot has happened this year. Most importantly, I accidently killed halfthe plants on the wall by using the wrong insecticide... :-P This is the last full picture I took of the wall back in October 2014: And this is what it looked like in January 2015 after the stupid accident: I was quite bummed and lost several species/ hybrids. But it was probably good timing since the wall needed a make-over sooner rather than later. The Sphangum had decomposed very quickly (due to the salt build up issue), resulting in numerous holes and sagging bird netting. Plus, Steve and I had devised several improvements when we built the wall at California Carnivores. And we're always discussing new things to implement next time around. Best of all, it's the perfect time of year to replant Pings! So I made plans, bought the necessary materials, and gathered my courage to rebuild the wall after almost 3 years that it's been up! This was done over the past week and I will post pictures here later, describing the changes and improvements. Best wishes, Fernando Rivadavia