• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 David Ahrens

David Ahrens
  • Full Members
  • 352 posts
  • Interests:CP's, photography.

Posted 14 November 2008 - 21:09 PM

This is a very interesting article. I really struggle with ordinary Nep cuttings. I have been told that plants growing under lights are more difficult to strike from cuttings, maybe to do with the wavelength of the tubes, which are different to daylight.

#42 Guest_Pedro Batalha_*

Guest_Pedro Batalha_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2009 - 23:15 PM

A big THANK YOU to Gardenofeden, for allowing me to translate this topic into portuguese, and using the images, in order to post it at PCBR!!

Here is the link to the new topic, for anyone who wishes to take a look (at the topic, or at the PCBR forum):
http://www.forum.cli...4946.html#71521

See ya!

#43 Gold3nku5h

Gold3nku5h
  • Full Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 03:51 AM

I dont know if it was covered or not, but some things that may help...

Im not sure how big the leaves are, but if you dont remove the leaf, it should root faster.
If there is a substantial 'new' plant above where the roots come its unecessary.

Also, if you were to imagine the circumfrence of the stem to be someones back, it would be
best to scratch the hell of out them with your fingernails.
Thats supposed to be a visual for a good way of air-layering, borrowed from air-layering tree's
basically, you have a few scored area's and a few 'bridges' of the cambian layer to supply the
top part of the plant.

Edited by Gold3nku5h, 17 April 2009 - 03:55 AM.

#44 Mags

Mags
  • Full Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 18:34 PM

Great post- I actually understand air-layering now :Laie_75C: !

#45 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,697 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:20 PM

the photo links were broken and have been fixed.

#46 Sue

Sue
  • Full Members
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Growing plants, all plants, sowing seeds, taking cuttings. Good wine, good cheese and good company.

Posted 22 August 2011 - 14:32 PM

I’ve been successful with air layering on other types of plant. A split match or cocktail stick is good for keeping the cut open.

If using hormone rooting powder, only apply it to the cut and make sure it doesn’t get onto the leaf joint where the roots will grow from. It helps plants to root but will kill the roots if they come into contact with it. This rule applies to all other plants so I can’t see that it will not apply to Nepenthes too.

With other types of plant, air-layering is usually done in spring/summer, does this apply to Nepenthes too or are they not fussy?

#47 maxxima

maxxima
  • Full Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 23:18 PM

Thank you very much! That was very useful for me as well.

#48 Daniel G

Daniel G
  • Full Members
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants, Life, Answering Questions, Looking Handsome!
    Getting a better Sarracenia collection.

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:32 AM

I have a 3 or 4 foot nep with no pitchers at all.
Hopefully if i do this the cuttings wil make a few pitchers for me instead.

#49 RL7836

RL7836
  • Full Members
  • 519 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 16:03 PM

I followed this procedure & air-layered my N. jamban that had started to vine. Not long after starting this procedure, the plant started two new basal shoots - originating from the potted root mass. After 4-5 weeks, I noticed that the main vine (the one I was air-layering) was completely black for the 1st 4-5" (even though it had added at least 3-4 new leaves following the procedure). The plant just up & aborted the primary vine after I started to work on it. I checked & there were no developing roots in the air-layered LFS.

Lets hope the N. hamata, done at the same time, has more success....
=========
13.06.12 edit - the N. hamata developed roots after ~5 months.

Edited by RL7836, 13 June 2012 - 14:11 PM.

#50 BrassLeaves

BrassLeaves
  • Full Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 21:57 PM

This is fantastic! I'm always looking for new methods of propagation. It seems like it would be more successful than cuttings as well. I've never tried this technique on anything other than woody trees, but nepenthes seems well suited for this. Thanks for the step-by-step guide, I'll be putting it into practice for sure.