Nepenthes Hamata Info Needed

Zongyi_yang

Nepenthes hamata is a cool plants, but can anyone tell me why its so hard to cultivate? i read that high humidity is needed, and my tanks has a humidity of about 90%. what else does it need? i have decided it would be the first in my want list so i want to find out some info first. thanks. Zongyi :shock:

Zongyi,

The price of N.Hamata is falling. Here in Europe you can get a small TC plant for about 30 Euros.

I have had one for about 4 months now and have been keeping it very humid in a terrarium under artificial light. Growth has been slow but it seems quite happy.

After consulting with a Nepenthes expert I know :shock:, I have concluded that it has not been getting sufficient light, so have upped the brightness to see if I can speed its growth up.

The requirement for high humidity is supposed to apply mostly while the plant is young. Once it is a few years old, supposedly it can be hardened off somewhat, although I am some way from that yet.

Other than the humidity, it is I believe quite a straight forward plant to grow.

oh, and Aidan, i the money is a problem for me, and the phyto and import permits, but i will find a way... i have started with a few highland and few intermediate neps and had them for months now, they seem to be creating pitchers bigger than the last :shock: . i don't plan to get N. hamata right now through. i am planning to get some harder species, but not to the level of N. hamata... thanks. Zongyi