- - - - -

Nepenthes Hamata Info Needed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Zongyi_yang

Zongyi_yang
  • Members
  • 288 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants and some other interesting things. I also like to trade for absolutely any Carnivorous Plant that i don't have.

Posted 12 September 2003 - 00:14 AM

Nepenthes hamata is a cool plants, but can anyone tell me why its so hard to cultivate? i read that high humidity is needed, and my tanks has a humidity of about 90%. what else does it need? i have decided it would be the first in my want list so i want to find out some info first. thanks. Zongyi :shock:

#2 Guest_Aidan_*

Guest_Aidan_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2003 - 00:43 AM

Zongyi - It will be expensive, very expensive if you don't manage to keep it alive!

See this thread: http://www.cpukforum...topic.php?t=528

It might be a good idea to start with an easier species.

#3 Ben

Ben
  • Full Members
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:CP, Outdoors, Holidays, Techie stuff

Posted 12 September 2003 - 07:37 AM

Zongyi,

The price of N.Hamata is falling. Here in Europe you can get a small TC plant for about 30 Euros.

I have had one for about 4 months now and have been keeping it very humid in a terrarium under artificial light. Growth has been slow but it seems quite happy.

After consulting with a Nepenthes expert I know :shock:, I have concluded that it has not been getting sufficient light, so have upped the brightness to see if I can speed its growth up.

The requirement for high humidity is supposed to apply mostly while the plant is young. Once it is a few years old, supposedly it can be hardened off somewhat, although I am some way from that yet.

Other than the humidity, it is I believe quite a straight forward plant to grow.

#4 Ben

Ben
  • Full Members
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:CP, Outdoors, Holidays, Techie stuff

Posted 12 September 2003 - 07:52 AM

BTW,

It is of course a highland plant so expects to experience a drop in temperature overnight.

I take it that this is not a problem for you in your terrarium?

#5 Zongyi_yang

Zongyi_yang
  • Members
  • 288 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants and some other interesting things. I also like to trade for absolutely any Carnivorous Plant that i don't have.

Posted 13 September 2003 - 00:53 AM

the drop in temperature is no problem in my empty fish tank. it usually drops 5-7 degrees at night. :shock: thanks. Zongyi

#6 Zongyi_yang

Zongyi_yang
  • Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 13 September 2003 - 00:57 AM

oh, and Aidan, i the money is a problem for me, and the phyto and import permits, but i will find a way... i have started with a few highland and few intermediate neps and had them for months now, they seem to be creating pitchers bigger than the last :shock: . i don't plan to get N. hamata right now through. i am planning to get some harder species, but not to the level of N. hamata... thanks. Zongyi