Some fertilised ceph cuttings at different ages/propogation types

mattynatureboy44

All the following plants have been regularly foliar and soil fertilised over the last 6 months.

As you can see they lack any red or purple colouration and are very green! probably due to the regular fertilisation.

Dudley Watts last year leaf cutting

9502558501_234b9a0471.jpg

WP_20130813_003 by mattynatureboy44, on Flickr

Big Boy late last years leaf cutting

9502559679_29c1781c6a.jpg

WP_20130813_002 by mattynatureboy44, on Flickr

9502561035_82712c4484.jpg

WP_20130813_001 by mattynatureboy44, on Flickr

Another Big Boy last years leaf cutting re potted this year

9505319400_3c22557144.jpg

WP_20130813_049 by mattynatureboy44, on Flickr

9502525051_702fb8c3a7.jpg

WP_20130813_047 by mattynatureboy44, on Flickr

Hummers Giant Autumn last year leaf cutting

9502523477_d2480f1c29.jpg

WP_20130813_048 by mattynatureboy44, on Flickr

A. Slack last years leaf cutting re potted in spring

9502526219_3489ba2411.jpg

WP_20130813_045 by mattynatureboy44, on Flickr

Giant - This Springs root cutting it has grown remarkably fast the clone seems to be very hardy and vigorous anyway.

9505336622_30563d5e3b.jpg

WP_20130813_025 by mattynatureboy44, on Flickr

Another Giant root cutting from this year

9505342158_3bee36727b.jpg

WP_20130813_020 by mattynatureboy44, on Flickr

Another Giant root cutting from this year

9505346840_f607bcb400.jpg

WP_20130813_013 by mattynatureboy44, on Flickr

Giant - another root cutting from this year

9502554629_a9c09fb121.jpg

WP_20130813_006 by mattynatureboy44, on Flickr

A slack mature division heavily fertilised

9505349876_d17ecb8594.jpg

WP_20130813_008 by mattynatureboy44, on Flickr

Another plant heavily fertilised

9505351060_7c7d51df49.jpg

WP_20130813_007 by mattynatureboy44, on Flickr

Hummers Giant last years leaf cutting

9505354616_507bf1c9d2.jpg

WP_20130813_004 by mattynatureboy44, on Flickr

All flowering plants in this picture have been regularly fertilised

9505339500_fb9d6df1d9.jpg

WP_20130813_022 by mattynatureboy44, on Flickr

Edited by mattynatureboy44
  • Like 1

What fertilizer did you choose and how often did you use it? Did you feed directly into the pitchers?

I use Orchid Focus I had the Orchid Bloom and Orchid Growth one and mixed them together I made it fairly strong too. I fertilised approximately 2-4 times a month, I fertilised the soil and filled the pitchers and also poured some on the plant and leaves. I also used Orchid mist on the plants about once a week.

• Like 1

Now the last question remains, what concentration? "Fairly strong" does not really tell everything, sorry. :)

I suppose I mean pretty much full strength as you would if you followed the instructions to fertilise an orchid. I used the same technique and fertiliser with some of my Nep's and Heli's with good results.

Do you find your plants prefer full sun or partial shade, I have heard that partial shade seems to encourage better growth, what do you find, thanks

Edited by Klugi

I have cephs in 3 different locations and they seem to grow best an be happiest in the location that gets morning and evening sun only, so I would say half a days full sun or similar but they do seem to like and need good light and I find they suffer and can become more prone to rot and sudden death syndrome with lack of good light.

I have a few in with my Flytraps that are in full sun most of the day and they seem to suffer in the heat of summer and almost stop growing at times but they do survive.

I've started fertilising mine with Miracle Gro Rhododendron and Azalea fertiliser. I use a quarter of the dose that's recommended for houseplants twice a month as a foliar feed. Matty's experiments are interesting in that they show that you can get away with higher doses of the fertiliser he's using. One would wonder though what the optimal level (dosage or frequency) would be though.

Don't forget I used this weekly too as a foliar spray and often topped up the pitchers with it too.

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/281021725705?var=gv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y&lpid=65&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=65&ff19=0

Also I water the plants from above at least once or twice a month whilst fertilising to give the soil a flush, I have never had any problems watering cephs from above during spring and summer time. I have stopped fertilising now as the weather has got cooler and I don't want too much fertiliser to still be hanging around in the soil during winter. I am hoping that maybe now I have stopped they will start to get some colour soon too.

I also used this fertilisation technique on some heliamphora and Nepenthes with good results.

I watered from above at least once a week whilst fertilising to give the soil a flush, I have never had any problems watering cephs from above during Spring Summer or Autumn.

I have stopped fertilising now as summer is ending and I don't want too much fertiliser hanging around in the soil during winter. Also I am hoping now I have stopped with the feed they will start to get some colour back soon.

I have used Orchid Focus, at the suggested dilution strength printed on the label, for a number of years on Cephalotus. I also use IONIC hydroponic nutrient solution for root and foliage feed.

I have used Orchid Focus, at the suggested dilution strength printed on the label, for a number of years on Cephalotus. I also use IONIC hydroponic nutrient solution for root and foliage feed.

I think I may have got the idea to use Orchid Focus from a previous thread where you had mentioned it.

You can get the 'Bloom' one easily in garden centres here in Ireland but it appears that you can't get the 'Grow' one anywhere in the country. God forbid a person would want to actually grow their plant on and get it to flower later on. I left the bottle I bought in the UK at my Mum's by accident. I shall be going there this/next week for a funeral so will pick it up then. I could do with giving my Ceph a real boost.

Do you know there is a thirds formula by the same manufacturer? It's called 'Orchid Ultra', I have no idea what it claims to do and why one should use it as well as of the other two.

Do you find your plants prefer full sun or partial shade, I have heard that partial shade seems to encourage better growth, what do you find, thanks

I questioned Barry Rice and Phill Mann some time ago about the Coal Mine Beach aspect. I was told that it was south facing, so if you want to attempt to replicate the conditions in the Northern hemisphere we should be growing facing North.

I wonder at what concentration does the dosage cease to be MORE beneficial than a lower dose and instead becomes a waste of extra solution. Has to happen at some point. I'm not putting anyone down here by saying that though. It was just something that sprang to mind.

I just bought a pair of Orchid Focus, 2 bottles grow and bloom. I hope 100 ml will be enough for now. Sadly the Orhicd Mist isn't available for overseas shipping by default.

I personally wouldn't fertilise too much to start with, start off with a smaller amount and gradually build it up if the plants seem OK with it. Best time to fertilise if you are going to do it is when the plant is actively growing so you might not have long left now this year, it probably wouldn't do the plants any good if it was outside the growing season and could possibly have adverse effects.