Huernia Zebrina Flower Buds.

Huernia Asclepiad

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Ian_P

Ian_P
  • Full Members
  • 172 posts
  • Interests:Reptiles, real ale and cider, computers, amateur (Ham) radio, astronomy, music, films, reading. I grow various varieties of chilli plants and CP's.

Posted 29 June 2013 - 13:17 PM

Hello everyone,

I had this Huernia Zebrina division off Stephen, gardenofeden, about a month ago and after I potted it up, it soon started to put out a new growth point.

But imagine how surprised I was last night when I was tucking my plants up for the night and saw this flower bud starting to appear. :dance4:
This is the new growth with the bud at the bottom,
Posted Image

A view from the side,
Posted Image

And a close up of the bud,
Posted Image

Looking at the closeup image, it looks like there will be more than one flower growing.

I was only thinking the other day about buying some cactus compost, but now I'm not sure if I should disturb it, as it's obviously happy (and so am I) and thriving.

I'll post some more pictures as it progresses.

Many thanks to Stephen for hooking me up with the plant division. :good2:

Regards,

Ian.
  • corky likes this

#2 corky

corky
  • Full Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 14:16 PM

i love these plants and am still wanting to get my hands on one,be sure to keep us posted
  • Ian_P likes this

#3 Gaz

Gaz
  • Full Members
  • 540 posts
  • Interests:Sci-Fi, reading, gardening, classic rock music. Growing various unusual plants like cacti, succulent plants, caudiciforms, aroids and of course CP's

Posted 29 June 2013 - 20:24 PM

Great Huernia Ian, be sure to post when the flower opens, they very impressive. I also had a couple of Huernias from Stephen, 1 has flowered continuously since February with 4 flowers just about to open right now.
  • Ian_P likes this

#4 Ian_P

Ian_P
  • Full Members
  • 172 posts
  • Interests:Reptiles, real ale and cider, computers, amateur (Ham) radio, astronomy, music, films, reading. I grow various varieties of chilli plants and CP's.

Posted 29 June 2013 - 23:00 PM

Great Huernia Ian, be sure to post when the flower opens, they very impressive. I also had a couple of Huernias from Stephen, 1 has flowered continuously since February with 4 flowers just about to open right now.

Hi Gaz,

It was the picture of your Huernia that you posted a while back that made me want to give them a go, as you say they do have very impressive flowers.

I'll be posting more pics as it blooms.

Regards,

Ian.

#5 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,562 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:16 AM

Glad to see they are doing well. :)
  • Ian_P likes this

#6 linuxman

linuxman
  • Full Members
  • 713 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:47 AM

What about the stink, though? A colleague at work has a Stapelia (closely related to Huernia) in the office and strangely when a flower bud appears they always seem to fall off :roll: Impressive flowers however.

#7 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,562 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 15:59 PM

They don't smell much of anything...

#8 Ian_P

Ian_P
  • Full Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 17:40 PM

I read somewhere on the internet that the smell of carrion is only detectable by flies. The human nose just isn't sensitive enough.

#9 Gaz

Gaz
  • Full Members
  • 540 posts
  • Interests:Sci-Fi, reading, gardening, classic rock music. Growing various unusual plants like cacti, succulent plants, caudiciforms, aroids and of course CP's

Posted 30 June 2013 - 21:00 PM

Hi Ian, happy to have inspired you if that's the case :cheers:

Martin, I have H. zebrina 'magniflora', H. keniensis & H. pillansii all flowering at the moment and I can't detect any smell whatsoever. Maybe some of the larger flowered species have this attribute or maybe as Ian read the human nose is just not sensitive enough. I'll post a few more photos once the buds open on a couple more plants I'm waiting for.
  • Ian_P likes this

#10 Ian_P

Ian_P
  • Full Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 21:15 PM

Well, I think I've been bitten by the cactus bug as well as the cp bug.

Just won an auction on eBay for H. Zebrina V. Magniflora. It looks like I'm going to need a bigger flat! :laugh1:
  • Gaz likes this

#11 linuxman

linuxman
  • Full Members
  • 713 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:06 AM

Martin, I have H. zebrina 'magniflora', H. keniensis & H. pillansii all flowering at the moment and I can't detect any smell whatsoever. Maybe some of the larger flowered species have this attribute or maybe as Ian read the human nose is just not sensitive enough.

OK. I can assure you it's not the case with Stapelia, even my poor sense of smell can detect it :sick:
  • Ian_P likes this

#12 Gaz

Gaz
  • Full Members
  • 540 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:01 PM

...strangely when a flower bud appears they always seem to fall off :roll: Impressive flowers however.

Although they are succullent plants my understanding is that during the growing season they can stand quite a bit of water and fertiliser as long as the compost is very open and free draining, I read somewhere that a lack of water can cause buds to abort so perhaps this is the problem with your colleagues plant.

Edited by Gaz, 01 July 2013 - 12:02 PM.

• Ian_P likes this

#13 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,562 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 16:37 PM

OK. I can assure you it's not the case with Stapelia, even my poor sense of smell can detect it :sick:

oh yes, Stapelia is a real stinker! :bad:
  • Ian_P likes this

#14 Ian_P

Ian_P
  • Full Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 18:48 PM

oh yes, Stapelia is a real stinker! :bad:

I might get my Dad one of those.

At least then I can say, "He couldn't grow stink on a monkey, but he sure can grow it on a cactus!" :laugh1:

Edited by Ian_P, 01 July 2013 - 18:49 PM.

#15 Richard Bunn

Richard Bunn
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants, weird plants, opera, classical music, theatre, gym, Lush.

Posted 02 July 2013 - 14:55 PM

No you couldn't coz it's not a cactus.

#16 Ian_P

Ian_P
  • Full Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:38 PM

Succulent, my bad.

#17 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,562 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:52 AM

I have a single stem of Huernia zebrina v. magniflora which fell off one of my main plants if anyone wants it...?

Posted Image
Huernia zebrina magniflora 02 by gardenofeden67, on Flickr

#18 corky

corky
  • Full Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:58 AM

i would take care of that for you stephen,really want to try huernia,i have a couple of stapelia that are growing well for me and would i be correct in thinking similar care (i could not find huernia for sale )

Edited by corky, 04 July 2013 - 10:03 AM.

#19 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,562 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

Sure, it's yours. Pm me your address.
  • corky likes this

#20 corky

corky
  • Full Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 14:45 PM