shade unheated greenhouse

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 StickyLeaves

StickyLeaves
  • Full Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 23:51 PM

I've finally set up my little greenhouse which shall house my limited collection of carnivorous plants.
It's unheated, and in a sheltered position but it will be subject to below freezing winter temperatures. Having grown many CPs before, I know that it's fine for Sarracenia, Dionaea, Darlingtonia and some Drosera species - But I'd love to hear some recommendations as it's been a good few years since I last grew any carnivorous plants.

I live in Hampshire, UK - just to give an idea; so winter minimums can potentially be as low as -10C for the odd spell, but more likely to be around -5C overnight.

There is enough light for Sarracenia, Dionaea, etc. but I've had to maximise the available space in there, resulting in about 20% of the staging being "tucked away" in two shady corners of the greenhouse.

Rather than leaving the water trays in these two corners free of plants, I'd sooner have them filled with something, rather than nothing at all - Does anyone have any recommendations?

My thoughts are possibly hardy Pinguiculas - Is there enough light, though? Plus, apart from P. grandiflora, the choice is a bit limited unless anyone has any other suggestions.

I'd love to even have some Utricularia in there, but don't know if there are any species that will tolerate shade and the occasional below freezing temperature?

Will Darlingtonia be happy in shade? It's airy enough, but will Botrytis be a problem - and will it be just too dark?

All suggestions and recommendations will be gratefully appreciated!

#2 Blocky71

Blocky71
  • Full Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 18:27 PM

Darlingtonia will usually grow larger in semi shaded conditions and if grown in live sphagnum then botrytis shouldn't be a concern.
I'm going to keep a couple of cephalotus in shade/ partial shade this year as a test, I like the green colour they retain when kept out of the sun but obviously I also want them to thrive too.
The darlings will take low temps but -10 could prove a bit low for the ceph's. Some growers get away with it but I won't let my ceph's go much below -2.

#3 StickyLeaves

StickyLeaves
  • Full Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 20:25 PM

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I think that Darlingtonia is possibly the best option for filling otherwise vacant space.
I've grown Cephalotus successfully before in a heated (just about frost-free) greenhouse, but I lost both of my plants during their first winter in an unheated greenhouse.

I guess that my options are limited due to light levels combined with the low winter minimum temperatures.

The only Utricularia that I think will survive in there might be U. bisquamata - Does anyone have any experience of growing it in a shady, unheated spot of the greenhouse? Most other Utricularia spp. seem to need at least 10C winter minimum?

#4 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,697 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 20:36 PM

Try U. monanthos too

#5 StickyLeaves

StickyLeaves
  • Full Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 20:42 PM

OK, thanks Stephen, I'll give U. monanthos a try and hope for the best!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shade, unheated, greenhouse