• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mujician

Mujician
  • Full Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 14:27 PM

Hi all,
I'm soon going to be recieveing an N Alata, and an N Talangensis. I understand these guys are tropical and don't require any dormancy. So I don't have a greenhouse or a cold room (Yet anyway!). So Where is the ideal situation for them? I have two south facing windows which get lots of sun (when its around), our kitchen window also gets the sun. Finally a couple of north facing windows - the bathroom, a bedroom and the living room. The living room probably gets the highest amount of natural sunlight.

Finally, should I put a little water in the pitchers when they arrive?

Thanks, Ben

#2 carni grower

carni grower
  • Full Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:57 AM

i would go for the kitchen window as long as it gets a few hours sun.

#3 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,671 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:36 PM

It depends very much where they are coming from and what conditions they have been growing in, which you should try to replicate for at least a few weeks as you adjust them to your conditions, so if they have been in very humid conditions such as a terrarium you need to mimic this with an enclosed humid environment for a few weeks, gradually adjusting by adding ventilation until you have them acclimatised to your conditions. Many Nepenthes species can be acclimatised to normal room conditions.
Do you know if this is a "real" Nepenthes alata. Nepenthes alata is a lowland tropical plant, needing temperatures 20-30°C, in complete contrast to Nepenthes talangensis which is a highland plant which will be happy at temperatures in the range 10-25°C with a temperature drop at night (although I've never grown this species is not sure if it has specific requirements). However I suspect your nepenthes alata might be Nepenthes ventrata, a hybrid between alata and ventricosa, and will therefore tolerate lower temperatures similar to Nepenthes talangensis.