- - - - -

Black mould on plants

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Carnivine

Carnivine
  • Full Members
  • 303 posts
  • Interests:Land Rover, Range Rover & carnivorous plants.

Posted 08 July 2012 - 16:36 PM

I have been treating my plants once a week to a spraying of general purppose bug spray as some Sarracenia are showing signs of aphid infection. I dont know if this is connected, but now I seem to have black mouldy blotches on some of my pitchers. Is this connected or is it something else. The greenhouse is well ventilated.

#2 Richard Bunn

Richard Bunn
  • 1,986 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants, weird plants, opera, classical music, theatre, gym, Lush.

Posted 08 July 2012 - 17:58 PM

Where abouts on the plant is the mould? Is it like a band kind of half way up the pitcher or is it around the lid and very top of the pitcher?

#3 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 19:37 PM

sounds like sooty mould, it grows on the nectar secretions and is harmless...you can wipe it off if you like

#4 Richard Bunn

Richard Bunn
  • 1,986 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants, weird plants, opera, classical music, theatre, gym, Lush.

Posted 08 July 2012 - 19:59 PM

I was waiting to see what your reply was as it's usually precisely what Stephen said.

#5 Carnivine

Carnivine
  • Full Members
  • 303 posts
  • Interests:Land Rover, Range Rover & carnivorous plants.

Posted 09 July 2012 - 16:14 PM

It's around the lid and the opening of the trumpet. There is also a small amount halfway down the outside of the pitcher, and this area also is a little bit sticky when touched. Will this spread to other plants?

Edited by Carnivine, 09 July 2012 - 16:15 PM.

#6 Richard Bunn

Richard Bunn
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 16:18 PM

The stuff around the top is the on the nectar. It's common and is harmless. The bit down the middle is usually just above the water line in the trap. It can happen if the trap has been greedy and basically the corpses are out of the water.