• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mujician

Mujician
  • Full Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 15:36 PM

Hi,
Just a quick Q. I keep reptiles, and the reptile equivalent of a cultivar is a morph. When two morphs are bred together to produce another morph it is given a name (if it is new and hadn't been produced before). For example in royal pythons we have a spider morph, and a fire morph. When these are bred together the new morph (combined spider and fire) is called a firefly.
So, when two cultivars are pollinated together, for example a sawtooth and a fine tooth why is just labelled as a sawtooth x fine tooth? Why doesn't the CP fraternity call it something new like a snaggletooth or something cool?!!

#2 Marcia

Marcia
  • Full Members
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:Canivourous Plants
    Gaming
    Dog walking
    Conservation
    Animals

Posted 07 July 2012 - 16:51 PM

I love the name snaggletooth for a VFT lol.

I keep reptiles myself and I used to have a bumblebee royal, stunning snakes

#3 Amar

Amar
  • Full Members
  • 2,233 posts
  • Interests:single malt whisky, irish/scottish music, tin whistles, low whistles, and yes, carnivorous plants.

Posted 07 July 2012 - 16:54 PM

Cultivar names should only be given, if the plant shows distinctive and stable traits. Sure, the cross could be called Dionaea 'Snaggletooth', but only if this given cross is really worthy to be raised to cultivar status. You never know what you get, when you cross two plants and only the exceptional plants merit a cultivar name.
  • bugmuncher likes this

#4 Mujician

Mujician
  • Full Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 17:17 PM

I love the name snaggletooth for a VFT lol.

I keep reptiles myself and I used to have a bumblebee royal, stunning snakes

I'm a sand boa nut myself! Have 10 of them. Along with the usual leopard geckos. Got lots of babies needing a new home now!

#5 Marcia

Marcia
  • Full Members
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:Canivourous Plants
    Gaming
    Dog walking
    Conservation
    Animals

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:55 AM

Don't tempt me lol

#6 Blocky71

Blocky71
  • Full Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 21:33 PM

I'm a big repile fan too, in my youth i kept gecko's, basilisks, anoles, agamas, I had a royal and an iguana for over 10 years but don't keep anything currently.
My boy's pestering for a bearded dragon, i've always wanted an emerald boa but they are a bit too temperamental for kids so guess the lad may get his wish !