Photo
- - - - -

Sales & Wants Forums Probation Peroid

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#21 Richard Bunn

Richard Bunn
  • 2,406 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants, weird plants, opera, classical music, theatre, gym, Lush.

Posted 23 June 2012 - 21:58 PM

I'm not a fan of the Reputation thing. I found on the forums I either owned or moderated that it eventually turned almost into a popularity contest and it put some people off. Fine if people are popular but I worry about people who are easily intimidated by it and put off.

#22 mantrid

mantrid
  • Full Members
  • 1,237 posts
  • Interests:Sculpting in Bronze. Please visit realbronzes.com and see some of my work

Posted 23 June 2012 - 22:30 PM

I'm not a fan of the Reputation thing. I found on the forums I either owned or moderated that it eventually turned almost into a popularity contest and it put some people off. Fine if people are popular but I worry about people who are easily intimidated by it and put off.

I only give a thumbs up if a post contains useful information.

#23 StuartF

StuartF
  • Full Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:37 AM

Does the forum allow new members to read & respond to posts in the sales forums without being able to start a new thread? That might work.

#24 bugmuncher

bugmuncher
  • Full Members
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:tropical fish keeping / breeding
    gardening

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:00 AM

Does the forum allow new members to read & respond to posts in the sales forums without being able to start a new thread? That might work.

we cant see the sales forum until we have been a member for 30 days

#25 ada

ada
  • Full Members
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:"green sarracenia"

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:01 AM

Richard, don't be put off by the reputation thing.I am not a fan of this either.
I don't wish to be the winner of a popularity contest either.
If i read a post and think its worth a reply.i respond. When i respond i say what I THINK and not what people want to hear/read
my responses come from a few years of growing these plants with good and bad experiences.
I have never been swayed by what others say or do,so don't feel intimidated,say what you think,others should do the same.
Just get involved,we all have/had to learn.
This forum just makes it easier to make less mistakes,i wish it was about over 20 years ago when i started.
ada

#26 bugmuncher

bugmuncher
  • Full Members
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:tropical fish keeping / breeding
    gardening

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:22 AM

i think the reputation thing is a good idea for the sales section as then you would know who you can trust when buying or trading plants

#27 Marlon

Marlon
  • Full Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:29 AM

Yeah something like when you made good trade with someone, there is a rep button for trades you can click.
So something like a trade rep system.

#28 Richard Bunn

Richard Bunn
  • 2,406 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants, weird plants, opera, classical music, theatre, gym, Lush.

Posted 24 June 2012 - 18:03 PM

Richard, don't be put off by the reputation thing.I am not a fan of this either.
I don't wish to be the winner of a popularity contest either.
If i read a post and think its worth a reply.i respond. When i respond i say what I THINK and not what people want to hear/read
my responses come from a few years of growing these plants with good and bad experiences.
I have never been swayed by what others say or do,so don't feel intimidated,say what you think,others should do the same.
Just get involved,we all have/had to learn.
This forum just makes it easier to make less mistakes,i wish it was about over 20 years ago when i started.
ada

Well said. I don't let it get to me, I just try and think outside the box about how others could perceive things.

#29 Andy Collins

Andy Collins
  • Admin
  • 1,079 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants, Gardening, Walking, Geocaching, Music,Computers and the Internet

Posted 26 June 2012 - 16:56 PM

Going by the response to the poll there's only very tiny percentage of the membership that doesn't want a probation period and a very large percentage of the membership don't care either way.

I'm putting a stop to this debate from now and have posted some rules in the Sales & Wants and have made a post here

The 30 days probation for new members stays.

The 20 posts rule as now been removed.

Just remember...........

Trading on the forum is totally done at your own risk. This means the Owner the Administrators and the Moderators of CPUK Forum will not be held responsible for any trades that go wrong.

End of story.......