Eden Black (not) stolen

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,697 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 14:56 PM

I was horrified to discover today that someone has stolen a small 'Eden Black' plant from my greenhouse :verymad: .
I only noticed today, but it could have been anytime during the last week or 2.

It is a small leaf cutting in a 9cm black square pot, with a non-carnivorous leaf still attached and one small pitcher, with more growth coming. It is actually very distinctive, as it is the "siamese Cephalotus" plant I posed a pic of a few weeks ago:

Posted Image
Siamese Cephalotus by gardenofeden67, on Flickr

This plant was actually reserved, for Mike (sorry Mike, although I have a replacement I can offer you of similar size).

Not quite sure why anyone would steal one, as I would happily have sold it to whoever (apart from one or 2 banned members :laugh: ). If anyone notices this plant in a collection, or is offered it for sale, please let me know with their details so I can contact the police. I will offer a reward of another 'Eden Black' plant for a successful outcome.

Edited by gardenofeden, 30 June 2012 - 22:20 PM.

#2 Sean Spence

Sean Spence
  • Full Members
  • 2,153 posts
  • Interests:CP's particularly Drosera, Australian Terrestrial Orchids, Rupicolous Brazilian Laelia Orchids, Arisaema, Stapeliads, Bromeliads.

Posted 23 June 2012 - 15:10 PM

Not good at all.

I thought at first that it may have been the parent plant stolen.

#3 NewComs

NewComs
  • Full Members
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Tropical fish
    Tanganyika cichlids

Posted 23 June 2012 - 16:12 PM

There will come a time when we'll have to implant a GPS chip in the more valuable plants, sadly enough...

#4 0rmus

0rmus
  • Full Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 16:20 PM

wow, stories of people getting scammed with trades and now greenhouse theft. I never knew a cultivation community could be so dodgy. I will definetly keep an eye out for you gardenofeden. Its not often a Eden Black is sold online so its sure to be flagged if sold through the conventional channels.

#5 alexa

alexa
  • 796 posts
  • Interests:carnivorous plant books, running.

Posted 23 June 2012 - 16:35 PM

I envite lots of people into my greenhouse, maybe I'll have to be a bit careful in future. Sorry to hear your bad news Stephen, hope you get the plant back somehow.

Cheers
Alex.

#6 Richard Bunn

Richard Bunn
  • 2,413 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants, weird plants, opera, classical music, theatre, gym, Lush.

Posted 23 June 2012 - 16:50 PM

That's awful. Sorry to hear that. I was only thinking last night that while I want to put together a CP presentation so I can give talks on the subject, plus I want to start selling a few of the bread and butter types at the local farmers market in a year or two purely to raise the profile of the hobby, the security of my plants came to my mind so I would have to be careful about giving the location of my collection out.

#7 loligo1964

loligo1964
  • Full Members
  • 457 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 17:43 PM

Damn, that's just nasty. What kind of tweaker would steal someone's plant?

#8 James O'Neill

James O'Neill
  • 1,632 posts
  • Interests:Birdwatching, Zoology, Entomology, CPs, Painting, Cycling, Photography

Posted 23 June 2012 - 18:59 PM

They actually went into your greenhouse and stole it? Gosh, the nerve!

You need a guard dog or something!

#9 Damien

Damien
  • Full Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 19:33 PM

Have you had people round or did it happen while you were out ?

They certainly knew which one to pick so it's obviously someone who knows about the different forms and presumably they must live near you.

Hope you manage to track it down.

#10 Flytyer

Flytyer
  • Full Members
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy; cacti; photography; reading; fishing; fishkeeping; cage birds and drinking Guinness.

Oh, and carnivorous plants....

Posted 23 June 2012 - 19:33 PM

I'm sad to say that (as anyone who grows prize-winning veg/plants knows) theft of specimen/rare plants is not too uncommon. Unless other plants were taken at the same time, I would suggest the Eden Black was targetted by someone 'in the know' - but then, why take a cutting and not the mother plant? Fingers crossed that the culprit is caught soon and you get your plant back Stephen :Laie_98:

I know my own meagre collection contains nothing particularly special yet (not that I'm aware of anyway), but they mean a lot to me so I keep the greenhouse nicely padlocked.

Edited by Flytyer, 23 June 2012 - 19:34 PM.

#11 0rmus

0rmus
  • Full Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 20:30 PM

It does seem a little odd to me that they stole just one Eden Black clone in what I imagine to be quite a valuable collection. *puts on detective hat* Anyone out to make money would have surely taken much more? Were there other Eden Blacks around it? Was that one labled and others not? Was that one particularly easy to obtain for a would be thief? Why did they take that one and just that one?

I find it hard to believe its the act of some CP collector maniac.

#12 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,697 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 20:31 PM

I think I'm going to get a security camera....

#13 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,697 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 20:45 PM

It does seem a little odd to me that they stole just one Eden Black clone in what I imagine to be quite a valuable collection. *puts on detective hat* Anyone out to make money would have surely taken much more? Were there other Eden Blacks around it? Was that one labled and others not? Was that one particularly easy to obtain for a would be thief? Why did they take that one and just that one?

I find it hard to believe its the act of some CP collector maniac.

I can't see anything else gone, and it was the only young Eden Black plant in a lagoon with all my other Cephalotus, so looks like they were familiar with the collection to a degree!

It's not the first time I have had plants stolen, but I caught the last culprit (David Waldron)...I think some people are such obsessive collectors they cannot bear to be without a certain plant, it's not about money. Ironically, both with this and the previous thefts I would have happily sold the person the plant if they had only asked!

#14 will9

will9
  • Full Members
  • 757 posts
  • Interests:cactussen, succulenten, gardenplants, carnivores - all plants

Posted 23 June 2012 - 21:40 PM

It s happened me to for severall times,it s only happened after i have visit some people to my greenhousse .
It s allways you are see this after a week or a few weeks,you never see if someone take a plant away only after,because you trust this visitors.
So i think because it s only one plant you must think who visited you in the last few weeks and look to them,you can meaby be suprised who stole your plant ,most likely some one you never thaught .
Hope you find them back but i am a little affraid you never do,it s very difficult and after a while the plant looks totaly difference and you not can see this anymore ,so you must find it very quick ,
Cheers Will

Edited by will9, 23 June 2012 - 21:43 PM.

#15 Jozef Havrilcak

Jozef Havrilcak
  • Full Members
  • 495 posts
  • Interests:Cephalotus follicularis ...

Posted 23 June 2012 - 22:45 PM

very bad topic :girl_devil: .... crazy man steal only one Black Eden :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

#16 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,697 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:43 AM

They actually went into your greenhouse and stole it? Gosh, the nerve!

we actually have a dog now, and he is a great guard dog, but he was obviously not in the garden at the time

#17 TheInactiveMoth

TheInactiveMoth
  • Full Members
  • 930 posts
  • Interests:Arsenal & Notts County FC
    Ninjutsu
    Growing carnivorous plants
    Keeping tropical fish
    Playing guitar and piano
    Playing video games!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:22 AM

...And some buckshot... :D
Really sorry to hear about this though, what sort of scumbag does that??

#18 Trev

Trev
  • Sponsor
  • 894 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:24 PM

That's awful, makes me glad I live in the middle of nowhere..

#19 bugmuncher

bugmuncher
  • Full Members
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:tropical fish keeping / breeding
    gardening

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:44 PM

thats terrible some people really have a cheek

#20 Richard Bunn

Richard Bunn
  • 2,413 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants, weird plants, opera, classical music, theatre, gym, Lush.

Posted 24 June 2012 - 18:08 PM

Can I just ask, out of curiosity when I'm sure I've mastered growing Cephs, how much would a leaf cutting like that cost?