13 replies to this topic

#1 Jay Lechtman

Jay Lechtman
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:CP (shocking!), US Civil War history, genealogy

Posted 15 June 2012 - 13:39 PM

Greetings, all

I'm Jay Lechtman, from Northern Virginia, USA (near Washington DC). I started killing the standard grocery store VFTs (and Darlingtonias, as I grew up in their native California) when I was a lad of about eight. The first "rescued" flytrap survived in 1990, and I've been growing my collection (and marginally increasing in skill) ever since.

I have a very large collection of Sarracenia (outdoors in growing season, in a cold greenhouse in the winter), and smaller aggregations of Heliamphora, Pinguicula, Genlisea, Utricularia and Cephalotus.

I have one lowly unknown-hybrid Nepenthes in the basement, which I would be happy to trade for an anthocyanin-free S. minor, or a Darlingtonia that can take our heat, or a Drosophyllum that can take our rain and humidity. I'm not picky :-).

Sarracenia species variants and naturally-occurring hybrids with specific locale information are my specialty, and it seems that the European growers, ironically, have done the best job of preserving this for North American natives :-). That's why I'm here.

I look forward to learning more from you all, and contributing in whatever small ways I can.

#2 Loakesy

Loakesy
  • Full Members
  • 3,429 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants, Family History, Photography, Forensic Science

Posted 15 June 2012 - 13:43 PM

Welcome to CPUK! :hi:

#3 bugmuncher

bugmuncher
  • Full Members
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:tropical fish keeping / breeding
    gardening

Posted 15 June 2012 - 15:22 PM

hi welcome to the forum :tu:

#4 jimlard

jimlard
  • Full Members
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:C.P's, gardening, bonsai, tropical fish keeping, walking, photography, wildlife, reading and acoustic guitar......oh, and sausages.

Posted 15 June 2012 - 18:14 PM

Hello Jay, you'll learn nothing from me as I'm very new to keeping CP's :laugh2:
I've just been bitten with the Sarracenia bug and am fast running out of room, welcome to the forums :D

#5 TheInactiveMoth

TheInactiveMoth
  • Full Members
  • 930 posts
  • Interests:Arsenal & Notts County FC
    Ninjutsu
    Growing carnivorous plants
    Keeping tropical fish
    Playing guitar and piano
    Playing video games!

Posted 15 June 2012 - 18:33 PM

Welcome to CPUK Jay!

#6 Richard Bunn

Richard Bunn
  • 2,208 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants, weird plants, opera, classical music, theatre, gym, Lush.

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:21 AM

Welcome Jay. I'm always a little jealous of you Americans for having the perfect climate for Sarracenia outdoors. Plus you've got California Carnivores & Sarracenia Northwest.

Edited by Richard Bunn, 16 June 2012 - 02:21 AM.

#7 jimscott

jimscott
  • Full Members
  • 5,737 posts
  • Interests:Tropical fish, Carnivorous Plants, Gardening, Scrabble, Ping-Pong, Disco and New Wave Music

Posted 16 June 2012 - 13:07 PM

Welcome to CPUK, Jay!

#8 gaeldu64

gaeldu64
  • Full Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 15:47 PM

welcome ;)

#9 Tricky Utrici

Tricky Utrici
  • Full Members
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:Sarracenia.
    Driving my Lotus at Castle Combe.

Posted 16 June 2012 - 18:51 PM

Jay your post makes good reading and it's always good to see growers from around the world enjoying this forum. As a UK Sarracenia grower I'm green with envy about your outdoor growing conditions, particularly as the wind is howling and rain beating on the window right now. Of course we have a fantastic variety of Sarracenia here and a very healthy, vibrant community of CP growers thanks to this forum. It's a great hobby, welcome to the best CP forum.

#10 KittyKat

KittyKat
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 19:32 PM

Hi Jay,

I am very new to the hobby. I love the red and pink Venus flytrap forms. I am also from the states originally. So technically I am a fellow American too but I
have lived in Europe for many years. Now I live in Stockport, Greater Manchester UK.

Welcome!

All the best!
KittyKat

#11 Jay Lechtman

Jay Lechtman
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:CP (shocking!), US Civil War history, genealogy

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:44 AM

Thanks, everyone!

And don't be jealous, Richard, there are CP growers in Europe we dream about visiting (and both of the nurseries you mentioned are thousands of kilometers from me) and, besides, the Magner's is fresher on your side when you get a pint (on tap, I'm sure) than when I have to crack open a bottle :-).

#12 Richard Bunn

Richard Bunn
  • 2,208 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants, weird plants, opera, classical music, theatre, gym, Lush.

Posted 19 June 2012 - 14:07 PM

Weird thing about 'Magners' is that here in Ireland the very same stuff from same brewery and same bottling is called Bulmers. So strange.

#13 Jozef Havrilcak

Jozef Havrilcak
  • Full Members
  • 474 posts
  • Interests:Cephalotus follicularis ...

Posted 21 June 2012 - 23:38 PM

Welcome Man! :big_boss:

#14 nbtx

nbtx
  • Full Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 22:39 PM