Photo
- - - - -

ID for Seedingling (possibly a Nepenthes)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TommyTopTraps

TommyTopTraps
  • Full Members
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Surfing, Whiskey, Writing.

Posted 14 June 2012 - 23:10 PM

Hi,

I bought a few batched of VFT seeds to go with some that I harvested myself to make the venture more worth while and noticed an odd seedling, it was the first to germinate and very quickly turned out looking a little strange. I have been advised that it is reminiscent of a Cephalotus by a member of this forum and after researching photos of Cephalotus seedlings online have found it to be very similar to them.

After an initial growth spurt it seems to have slowed right down so I would like to know whether I should treat it differently to the VFTs or just let it hang out with it's neighbours and and see what happens.

I will attach a link to the picture in the next comment box below

Thanks!

Tom

Edited by TommyTopTraps, 14 June 2012 - 23:16 PM.

#2 TommyTopTraps

TommyTopTraps
  • Full Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 23:13 PM

http://www.cpukforum...lery&image=5132

PS the seeds are radically different but I didn't notice a strange seed and I am sure it started out with a dionaea seed as a hat but quickly fattened out into this but I suppose I could be wrong...

#3 nadja77

nadja77
  • Full Members
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Any outdoor activity. Riding my MTB, and hiking are at the top of the list. I love growing all plants that will survive my care, CP's being my firm no 1 of course.

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:10 AM

Doesn't look like a nepenthes seedling to me ( or any other CP). If the soil has not been sterilized properly, weeds can sometimes sneak in. I can't tell what it its, but why don't you move it into a different pot and let it grow for a while?

Edited by nadja77, 15 June 2012 - 03:11 AM.

#4 Darkrai283

Darkrai283
  • Full Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:46 AM

Doesn't look like a nepenthes seedling to me ( or any other CP). If the soil has not been sterilized properly, weeds can sometimes sneak in. I can't tell what it its, but why don't you move it into a different pot and let it grow for a while?

I thought it was a ceph seedling until I read your post and looked at the photo carefully. It looks like a dragonfruit seedling to me.

An example below:
Posted Image

#5 TommyTopTraps

TommyTopTraps
  • Full Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 23:10 PM

Cheers guys,

Now I really am confused as I would like to find out what it is but now unsure as to whether or not to take it out of CP medium and try it in something more nutrient heavy...

#6 petesredtraps

petesredtraps
  • Sponsor
  • 910 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:40 PM

Just leave it alone and let it grow, only when you are sure about what it is should you think about repotting.

#7 Darkrai283

Darkrai283
  • Full Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 18:32 PM

Cheers guys,

Now I really am confused as I would like to find out what it is but now unsure as to whether or not to take it out of CP medium and try it in something more nutrient heavy...

I'm pretty sure it is a dragonfruit seedling. If it is, the usual CP should be fine as I used to grow them in it.

But just to be sure, do what petesredtraps said and wait until you can get a clear identification. Only time will tell. :Laie_97:

#8 TommyTopTraps

TommyTopTraps
  • Full Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 23:51 PM

Cheers to both,

Personally I am hoping it will be some kind of Carnivorous Dragon fruit hybrid, it has dawned on me that it could have come from the edan project as I bought my fist VFT from there last year. If that is the case it has been lying dormant for some time and somehow made it through the repotting process. If not then a Carnivorous Dragon fruit hybrid is really the only other possibility that I can see...