• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 MalcolmP

MalcolmP
  • Full Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 21:46 PM

plenty of other ways of obtaining them outwith the forum

Well that's the prob, that's where I started from !
Elsewhere and at the start of this thread I have said words to the effect that far better for new ( and old of course) members to buy from supportive and helpful members of the forum, got to be good for the forum as well. Why send new members off to ebay and other unknown places for their first 30days(90 as was) sorry I cant see the logic of it. If sharp practices occure ( and there will always be some in real life) better to get a handle on it here where there are lots of eyes than in the unsighted recesses of ebay.
Anyway why send business good to ebay etc in the first place ?

As will9 & NewComs have said it is a trivial matter for a rogue to post a few posts and wait a few days, I dont see what good 30days does in that respect except to frustrate enthusiastic newcomers.

Now then where was that darkened room ,,,,

Edited by MalcolmP, 15 June 2012 - 21:54 PM.

#22 MalcolmP

MalcolmP
  • Full Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 21:58 PM

Anything else you don't like about the forum?...

Well that does it,
moderators are supposed to moderate not exacerbate,
goodby.

#23 Marlon

Marlon
  • Full Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 22:11 PM

Maybe you could enjoy the forum and try to learn things instead of complaining, some of the members gave you a chance to come visit their collection and maybe buy some plants.
And as stated above there are enough internet shops instead of ebay where you can buy plants.
  • mobile likes this

#24 MalcolmP

MalcolmP
  • Full Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 23:33 PM

"Maybe you could enjoy the forum "

I did, please take the time to read my other posts elsewhere

"and try to learn things"

as above

" instead of complaining,"

I was not, I was commenting, if a mod cant take a contrary view without getting all agressive it is a poor do.

"some of the members gave you a chance to come visit their collection and maybe buy some plants."

for which I thanked them.

"And as stated above there are enough internet shops instead of ebay where you can buy plants."

and as stated above I would rather support helpful members of the forum, dear me, can you not read ?

Edited by MalcolmP, 15 June 2012 - 23:50 PM.

#25 ada

ada
  • Full Members
  • 1,712 posts
  • Interests:"green sarracenia"

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:14 AM

Let's not get started into a slanging match please!
MalcolmP has an opinion,and has expressed his thoughts,we don't want to drive new members away ....do we?
He is clearly annoyed at not being able to buy the plants he wants,but it has been said there are ways round this.
I'm sure if he puts some thought into this he can come up with an answer.

ada

#26 mantrid

mantrid
  • Full Members
  • 1,237 posts
  • Interests:Sculpting in Bronze. Please visit realbronzes.com and see some of my work

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

There are quite a lot of commonly asked questions and I fear that the first few pages of each forum could become just stickies. Maybe some experienced members could write a thread containing the most common questions for a particular genera and this could become a single sticky.

Ive copied some info into a post in Dionaea forum. Feel free to make it a sticky. I will update it and add photos of techniques too when the weather improves and I can get out the camera.

#27 MalcolmP

MalcolmP
  • Full Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:41 AM

Hi ada, thanks for your thoughts,
just a minor correction of no great importance : I am not annoyed at being unable to buy plants only at being pointed away to ebay !

Edit later : One last set of thoughts from me, not getting AT anyone in particular, just saying how it seems to a newbie :-

I am annoyed as a newcomer to be told go away to websites/ebay.
A) it is illogical and does the forum and its members no good (edit : by sending the cash and the interest elsewhere!)
B) it is condecending. Of course the newcomer knows that. Newcomers might be new but that doesnt mean that they are stupid !
That is where he has been, has come from, that is probably what he was doing when he found a link to the forum.
Do I still sound annoyed :) :) << edit : note the smiles <<
C) One could even make the argument that if it is good enough for the 1day old it is good enough for the 31day old or the 3year old, so what is the point of having a ForSaleWants section anyway ?
It would be a lot more helpful to see posts along the lines of hey guys (or hey newcomer) I've had some nice plants off xyz on ebay.
Well I think I will stop now, just about thrashed this one to death ! And anyway it is the established policy of the forum which of course I accept, but dont see why I shouldnt be able to comment upon it ?

And now a red herring has been introduced :
It is usually not long before newcomers to fora are told the questions have all been asked and answered before.
Well of course they have. It is difficult if not impossible to ask a question these days that has not already been answered somewhere.
A newcomer will often ask a question (1) to get a quick answer (2) by way of a hello, this is what I am doing and puzzling over do you want to talk to me. To tell him to go search isnt telling him anything he doesnt already know, he can do that silently and may never then make a post !!
I dont know what this has to do with a 30day probation can it not be dealt with in another thread ?

Right then, I'll stand by for some more personal abuse ,,,,,,

Edited by MalcolmP, 16 June 2012 - 14:05 PM.

#28 linuxman

linuxman
  • Full Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 16:49 PM

Of course you can make comments MalcolmP. This forum needs enthusiastic contributors. Anyway, you only have 11 days to wait now :whistle3: However, I expect plant availability through the post will be limited at this time of year. Your only real opportunity will come from open days. Things will improve by next winter/spring when people divide their plants (I'm talking sarracenia here). Best of luck and stick with it.

#29 MalcolmP

MalcolmP
  • Full Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 00:21 AM

Thanks Martin, yes open days sound very interesting, sadly that of Les today coincided with domestic duties :( But sounds like a good time was had by all.

Anyway, be it known ( felt like an "oh yea" moment there !) the will of the forum prevailed (with a little help from a friend via PM to a friend) and a purchase has been made on ebay, oh yea ;) ;)
Thank you forum elves

#30 linuxman

linuxman
  • Full Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:03 AM

Thanks Martin, yes open days sound very interesting, sadly that of Les today coincided with domestic duties :( But sounds like a good time was had by all.

Anyway, be it known ( felt like an "oh yea" moment there !) the will of the forum prevailed (with a little help from a friend via PM to a friend) and a purchase has been made on ebay, oh yea ;) ;)
Thank you forum elves

Some time ago we had a thread on European nurseries you may find useful.

#31 Ian Salter

Ian Salter
  • Full Members
  • 843 posts
  • Interests:cycling, Lau gar kung fu, P.Cs, C.Ps.

Posted 17 June 2012 - 15:14 PM

Thank you forum elves

Malcolm, your day just got better...... http://www.cpukforum...=0
  • 0rmus likes this