Supplies in Scotland?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WhenIWake

WhenIWake
  • Full Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:28 AM

Been scouring for ages, but still cant find any recent topics of where to get supplies.
Does anyone know of any suppliers in scotland that currently stock sphagnum peat or moorland gold?
All i can find is internet suppliers , in saying that I cant find any internet suppliers in the uk that will ship shpagnum peat to the uk for a sensible price.
Been in touch with local garden centres and the reply is always similar saying "they stopped selling it for ethical reasons" ... Is it difficult to get hold of sphagnum peat now in 2012? haha

#2 MalcolmP

MalcolmP
  • Full Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:13 PM

Does anyone know of any suppliers in scotland that currently stock sphagnum peat or moorland gold?

Gavsgrow in Aberdeen list Moorland Gold on their website Here

and West Riding Organics Here List Moorland Gold and show Damhead Organics in Edinburgh as one of their national stockists but I dont see it listed on the Damhead Organics website Here
Oooops, I've just seen that Damhead are nolonger trading and the business is being transferred to Macleod Organics in Edinburgh and Ardersier (near Inverness ? by the look of the postcode)
hth

Edited by MalcolmP, 09 June 2012 - 12:46 PM.

#3 WhenIWake

WhenIWake
  • Full Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 14:14 PM

Oooops, I've just seen that Damhead are nolonger trading

thats maybe why ive not had a reply to my email haha!

I had tried Gavsgrow but is just a tad too far from me, shipping was going to cost £9.95
Ended up ordering from the organic catalogue to get delivered next week, opted for Moorland Gold since ive read so many good things about it!

So is sphagnum peat now pretty much unavailable in 2012?

Edited by WhenIWake, 09 June 2012 - 14:14 PM.

#4 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,371 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants & hydroculture.

Posted 09 June 2012 - 14:30 PM

I get mine from Gavsgrow, who are local to me, so I can collect it.

#5 MalcolmP

MalcolmP
  • Full Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:39 AM

I expect this is too late now ! but may be of use in the future to someone ? ,,,

I was looking for Shamrock suppliers ( for the wherewithall to make up some more of my own JI compost mixes) and this popped up
HIS

I cant make out if it is only an industrial supply with trade only counters or if it is one of the pseudo trade suppliers !
The "Our Depots" link shows a widespread network but nowt about retail ,,,

anyway, have a prowl and see what you make of them !

#6 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,371 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants & hydroculture.

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:18 AM

I expect this is too late now ! but may be of use in the future to someone ? ,,,

I was looking for Shamrock suppliers ( for the wherewithall to make up some more of my own JI compost mixes) and this popped up
HIS

I cant make out if it is only an industrial supply with trade only counters or if it is one of the pseudo trade suppliers !
The "Our Depots" link shows a widespread network but nowt about retail ,,,

anyway, have a prowl and see what you make of them !

There standard prices include VAT and they sell E-vouchers, so I strongly suspect that they sell to the public, though a phone call before making the journey might be prudent. They have two branches near me.Good find :thumbsup: