Hi guys, I'm ressurecting this thread as I have got around to putting my money & Cephalotus were my mouth/fingers is/are, eventually. Let the experiment begin!
I will only be using two of my Cephalotus typical leaf pull/cuttings at first for now, as I only have the ability to make a 1:1 peat/perlite mix at the moment. A bad lack of supplies at present, will be rectified in the next couple of weeks, so as I can try some variations in substrate. It will be interesting to see how quickly the standard substrate drys in the air-pots first.
Anyway, below is a pic of my Ceph typical cuttings queing up to volunteer themselves for air-pot duty.
There can only be two, the rest are getting potted in 7cm pots. They are small I know, but I wanted to start them off in air-pots from scratch to see how well they grow.
I will be using one litre air-pots measuring 10cm diameter by 14.5 high assembled.
The base is a bit open for my liking, so I used some clay pellets about 2 cm deep to help hold in the substrate & allow some more airflow around the base.
Here is the first volunteer, I shall call it exibit 1.
Exibit 1 after a dipping in trichoderma powder. Its a little to much, but if I shake or tap them the roots fall off.
Exibit 1 potted up & ready to grow, hopefully.
Now the second volunteer, which will be known as Exibit 2.
Exibit 2 after a dip in Trichoderma.
Exibit 2 potted up.
Due to the never ending winter, I have converted an old 2 sq foot vivarium to house my Cephs until the jetstream gets back from its extended holiday down south. Light is provided by a 35w Lotus soft light cfl bulb, I have a daylight version, bust I think I will stick with the soft light for the moment as I dont want to lull them into a false sense that the sun may actually make an appearence this summer.
I also have uvb reptile bulb rigged up for a couple of hours a day, not sure of any growth benefits from it, but it certainly helps keep any powdery mildew at bay. I will post some pics soon, thanks for reading.