- - - - -

Sundews in Sydney

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 -Xeno-

-Xeno-
  • Full Members
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:CP's, Aquarium's, Invertebrates, Reptiles and Frogs Photography, Gaming.

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:21 AM

Hi all, just wanted to share some pictures of some Drosera and other plants that are growing in the bush near my house. While they can't compare to Christian's spectacular photo treatise of the WA CP's I hope you'll find them interesting.

Drosera spatulata, by far the most common species in the area. It could be found along the side of the track for most of its length. In many places they appeared to be growing on pure sand or sandstone with very little soil or organic matter, it may be worth trying as a cultivation technique.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Some of the plants were very large, larger than I had seen spatulata before. I placed a 65mm lens cap for comparison.

Posted Image

I found both Drosera peltata and D. auriculata growing within 20m of each other. I didn't think both would be found in such close proximity. The plants were also very advanced in growth, mine have only just started to break dormancy!

Posted Image
Posted Image

D. peltata:

Posted Image

D. auriculata:

Posted Image

Drosera pygmaea was also quite wide spread along the track, just really hard to spot compared to the D. spatulata. The recent rain meant that they had dispersed all of their gemmae and some had started sprouting already.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now for a partially carnivorous plant, Stylidium lineare. This plant was also quite common, often growing in very close association with the D. peltata/auriculata. I also saw what I believe to be S. laricifolium, but I can't be sure without flowers.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And a couple of other flowers from the same area.

Grevillea speciosa:

Posted Image

Grevillea buxifolia sp. buxifolia:

Posted Image

Lambertia formosa:

Posted Image

Banksia ericifolia sp. ericifolia:

Posted Image

Banksia oblongifolia:

Posted Image

Clump of terrestrial orchids including a Pterostylis sp. At least 3 different species are in this clump, I'll try to identify them when they flower.

Posted Image

Thanks for looking.

#2 Dieter

Dieter
  • Full Members
  • 963 posts
  • Interests:CPs

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:35 AM

Hi Ciaran,

thanks for sharing. You have some very interesting plants (not only the CP) growing near your hometown!

Best regards
Dieter

#3 Guest_Andreas Eils_*

Guest_Andreas Eils_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2012 - 18:10 PM

While they can't compare to Christian's spectacular photo treatise of the WA CP's I hope you'll find them interesting.

Why not, Ciaran! :Laie_98:

By the meantime however I can´t see D. spatulata anymore...lol... ;o) I love Stylidiums and those Banksias are quite impressive! :woot:

Thanks for the brilliant colours in our current rainy days!

Andreas

#4 Daniel O.

Daniel O.
  • Full Members
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 00:54 AM

Nice looking plants, it´s always a pleasure to see them in their natural habitat.
Thanks for sharing.

Best regards,
Daniel

#5 -Xeno-

-Xeno-
  • Full Members
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:CP's, Aquarium's, Invertebrates, Reptiles and Frogs Photography, Gaming.

Posted 08 June 2012 - 00:52 AM

Glad everyone enjoyed them. I suspect that there may be Utricularia sp. and Drosera binata present at this location, but the binata will be dormant currently and the Utricularia wouldn't be in flower, so I will check over Spring/Summer. And for the non-CP's, I'll make a compillation of pictures over winter when all the other plants come into flower, and then post them on the forum.

In the mean time, enjoy some pictures of Stylidium graminifolium:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by -Xeno-, 08 June 2012 - 01:06 AM.

#6 Guest_Andreas Eils_*

Guest_Andreas Eils_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2012 - 15:18 PM

:wub: Oooohhhhh....I love STYLIDIUM! So far only S. debile grows well for me. I twice failed with D. brunonianum...which made me very sad! The plant rot almost immediately after it arrived from a nursery here in Germany. I guess it was the wrong time for shipment as in summer these species whose leaves look like needles are dormant and can´t take any moisture resp. humidity. :confused:

Regards

Andreas

#7 Martin Hingst

Martin Hingst
  • Full Members
  • 1,369 posts
  • Interests:music, cycling, travelling, minerals, utricularia :-)

Posted 08 June 2012 - 16:31 PM

Very nice pics and beautiful plants! Really like that Lambertia - totally different from what I've seen in SW WA.

Thanks for sharing

Martin

#8 -Xeno-

-Xeno-
  • Full Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:05 AM

Andreas, I'm just getting in to Stylidium currently, I have 10 species of Stylidium and 2 Levenhookia that I'm attempting to germinate. I imagine that you know this, but S. brunonianum appears to grow in the same condition as the pygmy and tuberous Drosera species from South-West Western Australia, so maybe try them in the same pots/conditions if you have any of them?

Martin, that's interesting because the other nine members of the Lambertia genus are restricted to SW WA, although I believe they are a bit less common and the flowers are a bit different to it's eastern counterpart.

I've created a new topic for the non-carnivorous plants that I find around Sydney, which I will update as I take new pictures.
http://www.cpukforum...showtopic=46262

I'll keep this thread for the Carnivorous plants and Stylidium I find.

Thanks again

#9 -Xeno-

-Xeno-
  • Full Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:37 AM

A stange growth of D. peltata that may be of interest; it appears to be many small plants growing off a drop-tuber of a rheophytic D. peltata:

Posted Image

And some more pictures of D. spatulata because it's a nice looking plant :)

Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 Rodrigo

Rodrigo
  • Full Members
  • 511 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants, Protocarnivorous plants, Orchids, Cacti and Succulents.

Posted 30 August 2012 - 14:03 PM

Wonder! Nothing like enjoy plants in their habitat, especially if they are carnivorous.

Best regards,

Rodrigo

#11 Aza

Aza
  • Full Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 16:24 PM

Great photos, cant beat CPs in their natural habitat.