• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Loakesy

Loakesy
  • Full Members
  • 3,449 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants, Family History, Photography, Forensic Science

Posted 19 May 2012 - 16:34 PM

I've often wondered whether it is possible for Sarracenia to propagate by stolon growth, but never found any evidence to back it up. On a few occasions I've seen odd little plantlets crop up in unconnected parts of the pot, but always thought they were just extensions of the rhizome.
Here, however, is a plant that I've ignored for the past few years, simply because it does nothing for me and has been left at the back of the greenhouse. I decided to clean it up a bit today to see if it would redeem itself, when I found this:

Posted Image

There's clearly a small plantlet attached to what looks like a piece of root, but clearly not part of the rhizome.

#2 Phil Green

Phil Green
  • Full Members
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 17:36 PM

Andy - whilst it 'might' be possible. Are you sure that isn't just a seedling growing in the same pot ??

#3 Loakesy

Loakesy
  • Full Members
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 19:36 PM

I guess it's always a possibility, but as I said, it's been tucked away ay the back of the greenhouse on a bottom shelf, and as far as I'm aware no Sarracenia seeds have been near it in years!

#4 meizwang

meizwang
  • Full Members
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Sarracenia, disas, fruit trees, vegetables, south african bulbs, cacti...horticulture.

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:40 AM

There's clearly a small plantlet attached to what looks like a piece of root, but clearly not part of the rhizome.

I suppose technically you could call it a stolon-this definitely happens! Underground, dormant eyes form etiolated growth points that stretch as far as they can until there's light, and then they form plants.

#5 Loakesy

Loakesy
  • Full Members
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:54 AM

That could be one possible explanation, given that this plant has been tucked away for years!