Neem oil dilution/application suggestion for dealing with aphids & resulting fungus

ijason

greetings.

my sarracenia are suffering from an infestation of some type of red aphid, and the resultant white fungus growing from the waste of the little buggers. i did not see any aphids until i was taking the picture of the fungus for this post, so it's not an overwhelming number of them, but the plants are visibly suffering from their presence all the same. i have both neem oil and pyrethrin concentrate on hand, and seen a lot of people praising neem oil as a general fungicide and for pest control... but i haven't seen any mention of after-care.

all the other times i've used neem oil there have been specific instructions to apply in the evening and to wash the oil off in the morning to avoid burning the leaves. none of the posts recommending neem oil have mentioned washing the plants off afterwards. is this not needed for sarracenia? i've also seen opinions back and forth about adding soap to the mix, and for the concentration of the neem oil to use. any suggestions?

i have also had good success with pyrethrin for pest control, but haven't seen anyone recommending it on here. what is the opinion of pyrethrin on carnivorous plants in general, and sarracenia in particular? concentration and after-care?

the plant has picked up some brown spots lately, which i attribute to the dang aphids. i've included a picture of that as well.

any advice would be appreciated :)

tumblr_m43956L44M1r7qtldo1_500.jpg

tumblr_m43956L44M1r7qtldo2_500.jpg

I bought Neem Oil at Lowes. It didn't require soap. Just add water.

thank you for the reply :)

getting the neem oil isn't the problem, i already have it. my question is about what dilution is recommended and whether or not i need to wash the plant off after the application?

have you had success using your neem oil on sarracenia without problems?

If you have the cold pressed neem oil add about 2% of the total volume of water used. Best if you can use hot/warm water as this will help the oil mix without the need of soap. Shake the mixture well before applying and while applying. Apply genoriously! and keep apply once every day / two days until you haven't seen any pests for a week. No need to wash it off but you may want to spray them in the late evening to ensure they don't burn if its sunny.

Good luck!

Damn aphids are currently ruining my letuce !

I use 2-3 ml neem per litre of water. Also add in 2-3 drops of dish soap. Spray liberally. I have tripled this amount for scale with little effect on Nepenthes, Drosera and various orchids. I spray every 3 days for 1-2 weeks.

Edited by 31drew31