• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 evulFarmer

evulFarmer
  • Full Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:05 AM

Hello,
since some time my hamata started to produce weird deformated leaves and pitchersi. At the begining I thought that it was just a one-time anomaly or something like that. Unfortunately they are apearing new deformated leaves and pitchers. Any ideas guys? The plant grows for over the year in my lowland terrarium only few cm under the FLL and till this few leaves it was doing great as u can see at older pitchers. It is N. hamata Clone III AW.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 An D Smith

An D Smith
  • Full Members
  • 427 posts
  • Interests:Horticulture, fossils, archaeology, entomology, neolithic stone tools etc

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:27 PM

Hi EvulFarmer

EvulFarmer wrote "The plant grows for over the year in my lowland terrarium only few cm under the FLL"

Maybe this is the cause of your problems? N. hamata is most definitely a HIGHLAND species.

Cheers

Andy

#3 evulFarmer

evulFarmer
  • Full Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 13:07 PM

I know but since I got it over a year ago it was growing great. Check older pitchers.. It started to happen like 2-3 months ago :/

#4 tom499

tom499
  • Full Members
  • 224 posts
  • Interests:Droseraceae, Lentibulariaceae

Posted 08 May 2012 - 13:41 PM

I'm no Nepenthes expert, but as An D Smith pointed out, you aren't growing them in their optimum conditions, and therefore run the risk of long term problems, such as this.

#5 flycatchers

flycatchers
  • Full Members
  • 1,054 posts
  • Interests:carnivorous plants, cult tv/films, theatre, cats, music, photography, film- making including aerial photography, modern art & installations.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 14:19 PM

Check for mites....

bill

#6 evulFarmer

evulFarmer
  • Full Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 15:33 PM

Well it's not a problem to put it in a highland tank I just thought that if it grows so good in lowland it can stay there. My highland tank has weak light and I wonder if it wont be too big shock for the plant to change environment so fast. Should I repot it and try putting in highland tank ?

#7 amphirion

amphirion
  • Full Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 15:52 PM

i will also claim that it is a temperature problem....and if not fixed quickly the damage may end up permanent. keep in mind that highlanders are very well capable of growing in warmer temperatures when young, but will need cooler temps as their growth progresses. i have a hamata that does this, it was a result of high temperatures during the summer when i first received it. two years later, the plant never made straight faced pitchers again. some pitchers may look better than others, but have dramatic reduction in teeth.

Posted Image
(note the deformed pitchers)

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image
the most normal looking out of the bunch--note the dramatic reduction of teeth.

Edited by amphirion, 08 May 2012 - 15:55 PM.

#8 evulFarmer

evulFarmer
  • Full Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 16:03 PM

Oh crap! Then I must change the conditions! Thanks for ur answer.. It is very helpfull!

#9 nadja77

nadja77
  • Full Members
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Any outdoor activity. Riding my MTB, and hiking are at the top of the list. I love growing all plants that will survive my care, CP's being my firm no 1 of course.

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:14 AM

Hopefully it will come right once you move it to the right conditions. It might take a while to recover, though. Good luck!

Edited by nadja77, 09 May 2012 - 03:20 AM.

#10 Icarus

Icarus
  • Full Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 21:35 PM

i have the same problem with my hamatas on highland conditions and still don't know why this happens. N. villosa and N. ephippiata are growing very nicely. The hamatas are also from Wistuba