Question for those with scientific knowledge

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Greg Allan

Greg Allan
  • Full Members
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:52 AM

I was wondering whether anyone of a scientific bent could possibly provide an explanation for this small passage:

"During the course of the present studies, we have also examined the acid proteinase activities of the digestive fluids of some other carnivorous plants. So far, the digestive fluids of Drosophyllum lusitanicum and Byblis liniflora showed high activity toward both hemoglobin and oxidised insulin B chain, whereas that of Sarracenia purpurea failed to give any activity toward hemoglobin."

It is on pp80-81of this article: Takahashi, Kenji and Koji Matsumoto and Wataru Nishii and Miho Muramatsu and Keiko Kubota and Chiaki Shibata and Senareth B.P. Athauda (2009) Comparative studies on the acid proteinase activities in the digestive fluids of Nepenthes, Cephalotus, Dionaea, and Drosera. Carniv. Pl. Newslett. 38(3):75-82- available here: www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/articles/CPNv38n3p75_82.pdf

I am particularly interested in the implications for B liniflora, as I was under the impression that this plant has yet to be proven to produce proteases.

Any enlightenment will be much appreciated.

Greg

#2 mantrid

mantrid
  • Full Members
  • 1,236 posts
  • Interests:Sculpting in Bronze. Please visit realbronzes.com and see some of my work

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:31 AM

Didnt read the paper but from what you quoted in your post it sound like they are testing the enzyme in question on some known proteins (Haemoglobin and insulin) in order to determine how effective this enzyme is at breaking down animal proteins.